Is this anxiety or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I am prescribed Xanax .5 and I literally take 1/2 of it 5-7 times a month I don't use it often. I've had panic attacks and know whatbtheybfeel like so this is why I'm wondering. I started a new job 2 weeks ago and did just fine I was surprised on how calm I was for my first days. But yesterday was my first day back and I just havnt felt right. I'm horribly exhausted even after 9 hours of sleep. I fee dazed and spaced out. Mild pressure around temples and dizzy. I took a Xanax and it did nothing to relive the dizzynees or pressure. I also fee like this all the time its not just whenever I'm in a high stress situation or something. What does this sound like to you? I have Wellbutrin for depression but in worried to start it because I've heard it makes anxiety even worse.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I believe you know what it is and what to do. I dont use anti depressants personally. It does seem to have issues at start up as you adjust to it for a few weeks. I think many use xanax to counter act that part. Any new job  will heighten stress levels. Any change will really. So it comes down to you and the choices you are willing to make. Your doctor gave wellbutrin its your choice to try it out or not right? A bad idea going forward is to question yourself on its level of calmness lol. It wakes it up and the body rememeber the anxiety and what it feels like and brings it on. Its sabatoge. Are you in therapy at all? Has anyone taught you cbt, self calming tool and skills? If you have depression i think you need to treat it and not play games with it. 
    • Posted

I don't feel depressed, sad or anything like that but the extreme fatigue is making me wonder if that's the cause. And people who have never taken an anti depressant before like to suggest them to people. The nightmares every night and brain zaps make them out weigh the benifits in my mind

• Posted

Who diagnosed you? I dont blame you for not using meds if no one diagnosed you.  If you dont really know whats going on have you seen a psychiatrist? 
    • Posted

i have gotten brain zaps they are weird but i dont even take anything. Maybe they arent from any medicine. 
    • Posted

To make a long story short about 6 years ago I started having panic attacks and didn't know what they was and I thought it was a heart attack so they did a bunch of tests and said I was fine other than bp was a little high so I take 12.5mg of atenolol and he put me on the lexapro then for anxiety and I couldn't handle the nightmares so he switched me to the Xanax as needed. They tested my thyroid about 4 years ago but I wonder if something could have changed. I just feel so tired all the time. I'll sleep 8-9 hours and feel like I'm going to drop at work 4 hours after waking up from being so exhausted. I've checked my bp and sugar levels and they are both good

• Posted

Have you checked your b12 levels? So common these days to be low. Its a simple bloodtest. Just an idea for you. I get b12 shots from the doctor. 
    • Posted

I have not, the problem with my doctor is he's so backed up that it takes 2 weeks to get in to see him. I may make an appointment and get them checked or take some b12 supplements. On my next set of days off I'll try the Wellbutrin and see how it goes maybe I'll start out with a half pill or something. I just started taking an iron supplement because a guy I work with was having fatigue and confusion like me and His doctor said his Prilosec was the cause of low iron levels which I take every day and have for about 6 months for acid reflux

• Posted

Oh look at that. That same ppi (any acid reflux med.) you have depletes b12. It stops it from absorbing. Before you self suppliment with iron or b12 get the blood work because youll mess uo all the result by using youre own protocol. Best to stop the iron if your dr didnt give it you now. Then make an appt maybe youll get lucky and get a sooner appt. its just a blood test. They can do a iron and b12 bloodtest. Simple.Sometimes they will write a script for the bloodwork and let you go to a lab to get it done then you dont even need them at all.
  • Posted

I'm on Wellbutrin and it isn't an SSRI....I have severe anxiety and I do not think this is causing me any anxiety.

Sometimes when we have big life changes (like a new job)....it will take our bodies time to adjust to new schedules...sleep patterns...etc.

I would take the Wellbutrin...if you are not going to take it...I would tell the Dr...and then take my first pill on a Friday so that you had the weekend to feel out the symptoms.

I have had NO symptoms with taking Wellbutrin and have been on it for 6 weeks.  I called to ask if we should raise the dose....because I really feel nothing from it...except a tiny bit of "positivity".

• Posted

Hello Sheldon

If you are sufering you need to take your medications. Depression and anxiety can make people feel unwell, and you seem t understand that.

You need to take your medications and it may take about five weeks to get them into your system. You must be consistant when taking these types of medications to feel better.

If you have headaches and dizzyness  it may also be a good idea to get your eyes tested to rule out any problems there

We are always around if you still have issues you know where we are

BOB

• Posted

some will say take meds and some will say dont its whatever you feel. I take meds because i felt i needed them i have been on and off them for years and was determined not to go back on them but after four months of suffering i went back on them. yes initially there are side effects that last up to six weeks with some people maybe more but mine lasted three weeks but it is because the tablets (anti- depressants) are replacing the old serotonin cells (the feel good cells) with new ones. I know I have low serotonin 
  • Posted

yep, thats me I can sleep for eight hours and when i get the chance I can sleep another two plus hours in the day. Its up to you sheldon whether you take meds or not some people do and some believe in alternatives I believe in both because i do have low serotonin levels in my brain these are the feel good cells in your brain. what the a/d do is replace the old serotonin cells with new ones and yes for a couple of weeks there are side effects, they do make you feel worse before you feel better but it is worth it in the end. if you can manage without scripted meds that is brilliant and im really pleased for you for some of us we need a little kick start but I will know when the time is right for me to come off them. as for the sleep well i can sleep a good eight hours at night and when im not at work i can sleep another 2 hours plus in the day and I am always tired i hope you find the right thing for you sheldon
  • Posted

I have just began taking gabapentin mainly for leg pain and numbness. But it has really improved my anxiety and depression. Has had an extraordinary effect.
    • Posted

I take Amytryptalene now for the same problem. It is strange what other ADs can do other than treat AD and ANXIETY

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.