is this asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

My mum is 46 years old and has had what shes been told is asthma for Many years,she does smoke also.

She coughs throughout the day,not constant but just every now and then and sometimes its chesty and sometimes its dry,does this sound like a usual symptom of asthma? Or does this sound like it could be more? She says its asthma and smokers cough,but im concerned.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jadex we both (and your Mum)  fully understand the implications of smoking for a start and coughing can be related to the habit of smoking..

However your Mum (only 45) needs to visit her GP/Practice nurse to ascertain that it is Asthma.

Two serious topics- Smoking - Asthma.

If the diagnosis is Asthma she needs to protect herself from an unexpected Asthma

attack with the relevant nebuliser/sterod inhalers etc appropriate medication, as Asthma attacks can be fatal, if not addressed properly.

Also if at all possible TRY to dissuade her from smoking....otherwise when you are older, your Mum may become a Grandmother etc, she may miss out on such special times in all your lives.

It cannot be easy but health comes first alongside self discipline.

Smoking is not just dangerous it is fundamentally selfish when smokers know full well the harm it causes, both to their health but indirectly to you and the rest of the family, especially your good self n regard to worrying about your Mum...

• Posted

Hi Jadex.sorry to hear about your mum.its may not necessary be asthma because cig smoke is the biggest trigger for asthma.you need to first check her that whether it is because of the smoke or not by asking ur mum to quit smoking for a day or 2.and check for other symptoms of asthma then you would be sure of anything.as far as i know cig smoking is not at all gud for a patient who has any kind of respiratory problem.hope you find out.
  • Posted

Thank you both for your comments,I understand that cigarettes are not good for you no matter what,my concern is that she coughs throughout the day a few times but a symptom of lung cancer is a persistant cough,so how do you tell the difference between that of a asthmatic and smoker and that of someone with lung cancer?
  • Posted

you should always hope for the best.and the best way is to get her chest xray done.in case of any other problem you would get to know it.Asthma and Cancer everything is made clear in the xray.In case its asthma it can be checked through a spirometry test.You should better get it checked as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.