Is this cancer?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with moderate dysplasia last month testing positive for HPV 16 and 18. I'm a regular smoker and drinker. Other than this, I am a relatively healthy and active adult. I have a doctor's appointment in 4 days to schedule a LEEP procedure to remove precancerous cells from my cervix. 4 days ago I had a spot appear on the right side of my labia majora. I am sexually active. My first fear was an STI/STD. My right lymph node became swollen and painful throughout the day and I did experience flu like symptoms. However, upon further review of the spot which in a matter of hours had swollen my Riget side labia and was burning/itching immensely I noticed the spot approved to be a giant blister with a few white filled bumps. The next day the blister resembled an ulcer and I noticed two black spots above the lesion. Today it the original lesion is black. I am still very swollen and in a great deal of pain. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with HPV causing squamous skin cell carcinoma as that is what I found the lesion to mostly resemble. I have a picture if it would be more helpful...although I'm not sure how to upload it to the thread.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate;  HPV is not Exactly cancer in itself, but if not treated can be a precursor to Uterine/cervical cancer. I am hoping that your Gynaeologist is a very knowledgeable doctor, and one that you can speak to?  You say that you are going to have treatment in 4 days, which is good, and I do hope that ALL cells are removed.  have you had these other cells looked at, as well?  I feel that it would be a good idea to have them looked at, and cauterized, too.  I would not say that at this stage "you have cancer", but it is worth your having a very good, and clear, discussion with your doctor.  Don't be afraid to ask him/her ALL these questions, and what should be done for you.  have you had your family, (if wanting to have one/more), as this, too can be an issue to consider?

?HPV can be either sexually transmitted, or can also be transferred down from our mothers who may also have had the virus and not known.  I am not sure re the other cells that have appeared, but am wondering are they genital herpes?  If so, these too can be removed/treated at same time. 

?I am sorry that you are having these worries, as Yes, it is a scary thought, and for one so young, but a Really good discussion with the Doctor is the best thing for you, so that you fully understand.    Do let us know what is the result.                                                         Bron

• Posted

I am going tomorrow for the dr to take a look and to schedule the LEEP procedure. The ulcer is still present...so the dr. Will be able to hopefully tell me what it is. I thought herpes could be a possibility and it still could very well be. What I am mostly concerned with is the coloring. Are herpes lesions typically black in coloring? There are other spots around the ulcer but not raised, just black spots. It is very worrisome and the pain is extreme. Also my lymph nodes are still swollen and today the lymph nodes under my arms are swollen and tender as well. The lesions do not seem to have spread any, but do not seem to be getting better either, they are changing at a rather rapid pace. Also to note, I have a rash on my abdomen that appeared around the same time. The rash is not itchy but has spread and had become darker in coloring. The flu like symptoms nly lasted the day the lesion appeared. I have monitored my temperature and it is within a normal range.
  • Posted

There is the remote possibility that it is a herpies break out. The first break out is always the worst one. And stress can make it break out like this.

You can carry the herpies virus for a long time without even knowing. So you may have had it for quite a while before the break out.

• Posted

That was my first thought, however the coloring doesn't seem to match any of the pictures that I've seen.

• Posted

She said she thinks it resembles herpes, but took a culture to rule out anything else and conducted a biopsy. I go back in a week for her to see if it is healing properly and to schedule the LEEP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.