Is this chronic pancreatitis or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, and sorry for my English, it’s not my native language. I need an advice or an opinion. My best friend (26 years old) is having problems with her pancreas. She had several acute pancreatitis attacks (not due to alcohol, she doesn’t drink) in the past 2 years and was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis in february, but only based on blood work and not a ct scan or anything else (her amylase/lipase levels were slightly elevated, 1.5 times higher than normal). Anyway, she received some treatment with pancreatic enzymes (no pain meds, because the pain was manageable) and of course was told to avoid fats and other things. She respected this regime. Last month she started again having mild pain – on the upper left side of her abdomen (she doesn’t have any back pain) but only from time to time. Several days with no pain, one day with pain after eating (the pain starts while she is eating, 5 minutes maximum after the first bite), another day some pain in the morning and so on. She does not have any other symptoms: not nausea, not weight loos etc. She also has a very good appetite. So she went again to the hospital to another doctor. The blood work looks fine, her amylase and lipase levels are now in normal limits and she had a ct scan. The doctor said that her ct looks good, and he can tell that her pancreas was in distress (not anymore). What does that mean? Does she have chronic pancreatitis or some sort of acute pancreatitis? The doctor didn’t say anything, other than he will give her some meds.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I have Chronic Pancreatitis, I have also had the Whipple Procedure done to remove the pancreas head. From what you are describing, it doesn't  look to me as Chronic, maybe Acute but mild acute at best. My Chronic Pancreatitis hurts 24/7.....even though my blood work shows normal. 5 yrs ago when I had acute attacks, they hurt worse than Chronic, but go away in a week or so....usually a visit to the ER and iv pain meds until the pancreas rest and the pain goes away.

I lose weight like crazy, go 3-4 days without eating, severe pain in my stomach radiating to my back. Vomiting, oily stools are also present.

I think she may have it, but it sounds mild to me..............

Rick

• Posted

Thank you for posting. I'm so sorry you are in pain 24/7. My friend had acute attacks and she said it hurts like hell. But now she only has mild pain from time to time, like i said. Friday she is going to see the doctor and she will find more. But until then we are worried and scared. Hope she doesn't have chronic pancreatitis. After reading this forum and find out how bad it is and how much people are suffering... i don't know, it makes me so sad and so scared.

• Posted

The first 3 times of had pancreatisome my blood work was normal. They did a CT scan and noticed that I had a dilated pancreatic duct. My last 2 times my enzymes were just slightly elevated. I have a really good Dr. And she told me to be presistant in bothering the er when I had to.

I'd consult another Dr. She needs to have further testing done if it continues. Have her keep a food and beverage journal so if and when it happens again they have that to go by.

It sounds like it might be a stomach issue. However the lack of nausea doesn't fit.

Consult a good gastroenterolgist that knows about the pancreas.

Good luck and please keep me updated.

• Posted

Hello. Thank you for your reply. She had an endoscopy 2 monts ago and the doctor said she doesn't have ulcer or gastritis or something else. This doctor she is seeing now is a gastroenterologist. The pain is triggered very random. Today she eats a salad and everything is ok, the next day, same salad can cause her pain. I'll try to convince her to see another doctor but at this point i'm afraid she's falling into depression because she's very disappointed her treatment didn't work, having pain again and i bearly convince her to talk to me about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.