Is this just a blip

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on citaopram for 7 weeks ( one week on 10 mg then 6 weeks on 20 mg) the first few weeks I had nasty side effects but they gradually reduced and I started feeling better however today I've woken up and feel like I'm back to day one anxiety through the roof bad tummy nauseous and very shakey. Has anyone else had this ? Feels like the last 7 weeks have been a waste of time ??

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I'm feeling the same today. I have been on 10mg for 5 weeks now and this weekend I feel I have gone back to day one. Awful night sleep, bowel issues, shaky, hot and cold flushes, generally anxious and on edge. I have felt worse the last 5 weeks on this than I ever did before and I've decided I think I'm going to come off them while I'm still on a low dose. I'd rather go back to dealing with anxiety in situations than feel like this daily!

• Posted

Hi Annie

Yes it's a blip. Recovery comes in waves so what you're feeling is perfectly normal. You start feeling better and then find yourself slipping back. This pattern usually repeats itself through recovery each time getting easier. Eventually it'll all even out and the bad times will stop.

3 steps forward and 2 steps back all the time.

Just keep going - it'll happen for you.

K xx

• Posted

I agree.....it's never an easy ride with ADs

• Posted

i'm anti-SSRI...I took Citalopram for 8 years...and I stopped it about 3 weeks ago....I NEVER realized that Citalopram was making my anxiety worse...

After much research I learned SSRIs can do that to some people.

You are lucky you recognized it early..I would ask for a change.

• Posted

Hi Annie,  Yes, just a blip, and perfectly normal.  We always try to warn you when you are first starting.  You will feel yourself feel the anxiety and depression start to melt away, then you will feel like you have taken a few steps backward, and it is normal.  This will happen on and off as you progress.  I've been on Cital for 3 years, and even now I will have what I call an off day...others call it a "blip".  But, I know what it is, and now I know how to deal with it, and it is usually gone within 24 hours.  But, that is me, and it's been 3 years.  You are still early on, so your effects will most likely be a bit longer...but again...maybe not, as everyone is different.  Just know it is normal, and you will get through it.  You already know it is working, as you have seen the possitive affects.  It will only get better from here!   Remember to keep posting when you are feeling like this, so we can help you through it!!!  We understand what you are going through!!  Hang in there!  Here is a BIG {{{{HUG}}}} for you, we know what those rough days are like!!!!  XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.