Is this Mirtazapine withdrawal, and what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 22 year old female. I've been underweight most of my life, I mention to my doctor 9 months ago asking if there was any type of appetite increasers I could take. For some reason he perscribes me Mirtzapine, even though I'm already on an antianxiety (Paxil) for 4 years. I wasn't even aware until much later that Mirt was an antidepressant.

So it helps me gain weight, and amazingly the only other side effect is about once weekly constipation. I'd gained the weight I wanted and last week I asked to be taken off of it. Last weekend I had went through a three day bout on antibiotics on a UTI, so while feeling awful already I thought it must be a good time to withdraw from Mirt. The doctor gave me permission.

So I had lately been halving my 15 mgs into 7.5s, preparing to quit. I quit cold turkey on Monday. Ever since then, I have been overwhelmingly constipated or having diarrhea, getting chills that raise my temperature up to 99.4, and immense amount of gas.

I have a doctor's appointment in two days but until then I am at a loss for what to do. I feel miserable. I first tried everything, Peptobismal, Gas-X, Antacids, Alkaseltzers, and Miralax once or twice. I found that that was all making things worse, and tried to focus on guzzling water and eating better, with a fiber bar every day despite the fact that my appetitie is zilch now.

Now I don't even know if you could say I'm constipated - I'm having bms every day, but they are painful, small, dark, tarry and often slivers, and still a huge amount of gas. But if I go two days without laxitive, I start to feel clogged up. I posted this elsewhere and a woman suggested the only lax I should be trying is drinking two tablespoons of mineral oil before bed with lots of water. That seemed to help the one time, but I just dont want to get Lazy Bowel Syndrome and overuse laxitives of any kind.

I've been reading this forum and I am at a loss - It's been exactly one week since I quit, how much longer will this take? What can I do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Cold turkey is bound to spend your body into a spin I am going onto mirt and my stomach has been hit hard. Hope things get easier
  • Posted

So you wanted to come off mirt because of weight gain.   Maybe just reducing the dose would do that. 

If you insist on coming off completely I suggest you go back on it until you stabilise.  Then taper off it again but more slowly.      

• Posted

Thanks guys. I decided that I'd start taking 3.25 mg every other day. I took one today and immediately felt better, which irritates me because my doctor told me I should be having "no side effects" from discontinuing Remeron.

I took some milk of magnesia a little bit ago. I just really want to get back to not needing to take any kind of laxitive. Its very frustrating to need one every two - three days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.