Is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I have question I checked my blood sugar after 1 hour meal and it was 143. While Google says it should be under 120 for truly normal people and 2 hours after meal it should be under 100.

My fastings are always under 100

But my 1hour or 2 hours after meal are difftent.

They are not like the standards level that the health articles say.

My A1c was 5.7 which again is not that normal beacuse for normal people it should be under 5.7 or around 5%.

Mine is not that perfect.

So what do you think am I considered diabetic?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

They are no/low carb high fat diet figures, good luck getting those figures if you eat carbs.
  • Posted

What you eat, how much you eat is the beginning of understanding.  I never take readings after eating.  " A result between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes. For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent or less is a common treatment target." taken from Mayo Clinic web page.

I was 7.2 the last time I had a A1C which was down from 7.6 previously.  My Dr told me she would be happy if I got below 7.0. I take 200 units of insulin every day.

I personally do not like the prediabeties term, sounds to me like kind of pregnant. The below 100 numbers in the mornings are good to great.  Remember this, you fast to take an A1C.  Keep reading on the internet and I believe you will find that most Dr.'s are moving the 5% up to 6%. 5% was the OLD number is what I was told my by Endro.

• Posted

Hi Drangd

Thank you for responding. But what do you mean by most Drs are moving the 5% to 6%?

If this is true then my 5.7 should be a normal number.

• Posted

Hi, i am a diabetic and with those numbers in my opinion I would say no.
    • Posted

Thank you Char

But why in my lab result my A1C was out of range just beacuse it was 5.7.

This is confusing to me.

• Posted

Hi, you might consider the protien to carb ratio that you had at the prior meal if you were low on protien as protien regulates the bodys absorption of carbs at a slower pace and helps keep your levels more even. I always try to have protien with carbs. Beans are a carb even though some say vegtable. I have also been told to have a snack between meals. I have read not to go more than 4hrs. without eating if you are diabetic. True .... I know not. I hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Don't think you are, still depends on what and how much you eat.

• Posted

I hope so Janice

That day I ate small portion of white rice with some stew that had meat in it. That's all I ate. I eat healthy mostly fruit and vegetables and lots of salad. But there are times that I get tired and I want to eat little pasta or a slice of a pizza but even then I see the rise in the blood sugar. I which what I eat and I dont eat out side or fast food, i cook most of the times and I try to eat small portions. Even when I am out with friends I try to order healthy and small plate but even then the small portion of the food rises my blood sugar. It tires me when I see my friends eating lots of carbs and with it drinks soda but it does not effect thier after meal blood sugar as mine do. They don't care what they put IN thier body but still they are healthier then me. Once I checked one of my friend's blood sugar after one hour lunch. I was curious to see if her blood sugar would go high after all the carbs and the soda that she drank. Her sugar was 110 after an hour but I ate half of what she ate but mine was 146.😳

• Posted

Do you exercise, what feels normal for you is different in a non diabetic.

my body is not used to 100 or lower even though dr. Would like it to be.

It's like a roller coaster sometimes. Crazy.

• Posted

I walk a lot. So Janice you have the same problem with the sugar as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.