Is this normal after an endoscopy ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had an endoscopy this week - which didn't go ahead because apparently I kept grabbing hold of the scope and it had be abandoned.  (I remember nothing about this as I had sedation).     Almost as soon as I had recovered, I started sneezing my head off and I still have an irritated nasal passage.    I blame the sponge that delivers oxygen which they shove up your right nostril.   That was 2 days ago and I am still sneezing and my nasal passages are very irritated,    Is this an allergic reaction to the oxygen sponge ?     

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Possibly, but I wouldn't worry about it - it will soon wear off. It might also have been related to the fact that you were struggling a lot. Either way, it won't be serious.

I struggled violently during my gastroscopy under sedation, some people do. Maybe try it without sedation next time? Unless you can persuade them to do it under full GA.

• Posted

Thanks Lily.

I was told I would have to have a general anaesthetic next time

• Posted

Wow, Angela - you really did get lucky!!

If you decide to go for a return match, I'd advise going back to the same doctor/hospital. It's extremely rare for doctors to agree to a GA for a gastroscopy - especially in the UK, where I suspect you are from your British spelling. If you go somewhere different they may well not believe you and will insist on trying again without full anaesthesia.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.