Is this normal for after a TIA?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband had what we think was a TIA last Tuesday evening. He started having his excrusiating pain in his right shoulder. It wasn't a muscle pain. He says it felt like hurting down to the bone. He couldn't really describe it. His BP skyrocketed over 200, he heard this loud noise in his head/ears(his BP), jumped up and said he needed to go to the hospital. He could hardly walked to the car. He was stumbling. His arms and hands were numb for a few hours.  He said as soon as that loud sound in his head happened, the severe pain in his shoulder went away.  It took 2 meds by the IV and then finally they had to start him on a drip for the next 24 hours to get it down.  It's been a week and 3 days and his vision is still out of whack and he has to really concentrate to read and understand anything.  His memory is also still effected. 

Is this normal after almost 2 weeks? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi thatsounds more like a stroke than TIA has he had a scan of any sort?? i was always of the understanding with a TIA the person normally gets back to normal within 24 hrs or so i would go to the doctor and request a ct scan or mri then you will know for sure either way hope things pick up soon xxxx
    • Posted

Yes, they did cat scan, ekg, and xray. Said nothing showed up.  We are in process of going to cardiologist to find the reason for the high BP. But as far as that particular episode they said there was nothing found on the scans.  neutral
  • Posted

hi jennifer.  this sounds more like a malignant hypertension attack than a TIA.  tia will mimic a stroke, with total confusion, inability to speak coherently, weakness to one side etc.  the stated symptoms for this type of blood pressure 'attack' are as follows;

Blurred vision

Change in mental status, such as: Anxiety, confusion, decreased alertness, decreased ability to concentrate, fatigue, restlessness, sleepiness, stupor, lethargy

Chest pain (feeling of crushing or pressure)

Cough

Headache

Nausea or vomiting

Numbness of the arms, legs, face, or other areas

Reduced urine output

Seizure

Shortness of breath

Did they check his retinas? sudden very high blood pressure will show signs of bleeding in that area.

memory problems shouldnt still be present if it were a tia - as the name suggests its 'transient' ie no long term residual effects. i hope you manage to find a good diagnosis and treatment soon hon.

• Posted

I looked that up. That does sound alot like what happened. I can't find where it says if the vision problems and comprehension changes are long term or if they will get better.  Do you have any knowledge of that? I appreciate your input.
    • Posted

i dont know a lot more about hypertension i'm afraid.  i only know about the malignant hypertension possibility because someone where i worked had it happen - they already had angina and they too thought they might have suffered a tia but the hosp checked for retinal problems and fluid on the lungs and treated him for emergency hypertension with i believe intravenous meds for a couple of days in hospital.  i do hope you find the true cause and your hubby gets the right treatment and speed him on the way to recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.