Is this normal for my age?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been having disrupted sleep for sometime now and have started to notice the effect in the daytime. Feeling tired, low mood and anious.

I am female and only in my twenties. I just wondered if anyone else was in the same age bracket that struggled to sleep and if this was normal for my age? 

Also what products if any, are people using to help them sleep as I would really like to try something.

All help is much appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elle,

​Sleep issues can affect everyone regardless of age. Being younger is good though, as everything is easier to recover from when you are young.

​What do you mean by 'disrupted'? Are you lying awake, unable to fall asleep, or is your sleep very restless? Regardless of which, there are some things that should help:

​1. Good sleep hygeine. Things like no caffeine in the evening, no TV or video games or anything stimulating before bedtime, and a quiet, comfortable place to sleep. Look it up, there are a number of simple things you can do to improve sleep quality.

​2. Reduce stress. Insomnia and sleep disruption are almost always caused by excessive stress in healthy people. Add regular excercise, or maybe meditation to try to deal with it. And definitely do something relaxing in the last 30-60 minutes before bed.

​As for products ... ehhh. The problem is, the effective ones carry significant risks of dependency. They may help you sleep, but when you try to come off them, you may find the problem is worse than it ever was. Sleep medications are getting better these days, but in my experience its best to stay away from most.

There's little risk to Melotonin supplements, or maybe Valerian root extract. You coudl try those and see how they work. Consult your GP, they may have more suggestions.

​I've had my own struggles with chronic insomnia, so I know what how it can feel. But I've mostly managed to beat it back, so let me assure you it can be done.

Let me know how things go, and good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for your response. I really appreciate it.

By 'disruptd' I mean I wake up in the night quite a few times and also have problems with my breathing habits which can disrupt my partner.

I will certainly try not drinking a cup of ta at night time.

In terms of exercise, I run 4 times a week but I might try and vening walk too.

Can I ask how you overcome your insomnia?

Thanks

• Posted

Start taking Vitamin D. Also take a multivitamin. Do not have any caffiene after noon and try to be done with eating by seven. Rather then a product to sleep try a pocast or a meditation for sleep. It will relax you or bore you to sleep either option is good. If you are scrolling thru media apps before bed stop that the light confuses the brain cycle of sleep.The  room should be tidy dark. That all might work. Sleeping medicines would be the absolute last resort.
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa,

That is really useful so I will give that a go.

Can I ask if you have suffered with sleping problems before?

Thanks

• Posted

Yes i have. Seems many people go through stages where sleeping is hard. sometimes i think i slept and i awaken tired too. its annoying and i know its bad for the health. I get some kind of second wind i think and im awake. I do get tired but it seems my family is too active when im tired so by the time they all go to bed i get a second wind and im awake?.So i end up on the internet, which i know is a bad idea. sometimes i think about things i need to do or get done as well. Sometimes i lay awake thinking about something that bugged me or hurt me. I would love to get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I also have tmj and its when i seelp i clench my teeth too much, even with a mouthgaurd, so rather then awaken in discomfort i think i get a poor rest. But yes the past couple of years i have been dealing with this. For me, podcast or audiobook work the best to induce sleep. I tried sleeping meds a while back and felt horrible in the morning with headaches or unrested so i stopped that. 
    • Posted

I also have TMJ and know how that can realy keep you awake. It is always worse when I am stressed.

I will give podcasts a go and audiobooks a go. Sounds like a good idea. 

Have you heard of ASMR? I was thinking of seeing if that would help me sleep. It is meant to b quite relaxing. Have you bought any products or paid for some sort of course to help you sleep before? I wondered if that would be useful.

• Posted

Never heard of asmr. I stay with the podcast and audiobooks.
  • Posted

That can happen dur to your unbalanced diet. You must consult with a doctor because at this age this wont be happened.
  • Posted

Hello, well one can´t say that it´s ¨normal¨ but I am 27 and have been suffering from insomnia since 2012... For 2 years I almost never got more than 2-4 hours of sleep per night.. 

For me the problem starts to improve and then it gets bad again. 

It definitely hurts my mood, makes me anxious and gives me headaches. Sometimes I feel like a zombie and get very depressed. 

I´ve tried hypnotheraphy, acupunture, exercising a lot, meds and it still never seems to really go away. 

Your case doesn´t sound so bad (at least I hope it´s not).

In general taking herbal infusions with lavender, verveine, and camomille helps .. along with getting enough exercise and eating right with low caffeine intake. 

If you have already tried these... you could try Melatonin... it works for some people. Take it for a few days and see if that helps... 

Above all, see a doctor! You need your sleep. And yeah we are in our 20´s we shouldn´t be experiencing this!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply denisita

That is really useful and I will be sure to try some of those ideas.

I hope you sleep better too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.