Is this pain in my arm related to PV?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am recently diagnosed with PV, have been for the first of weekly venesections and I'm taking aspirin daily. Apart from the fatigue, which I know is connected to this, I have developed a painful shoulder, elbow, wrist and finger joints. I also have a general ache down my arm. This is only happening on one side (left). Can anyone tell me whether this is a sympton of PV? 

I went to my GP when the pain first started in my shoulder and was given anti inflammatory tablets for frozen shoulder but my haematologist told me to stop taking them when he diagnosed me.  I'm not seeing my haematologist for 2 months so would appreciate some feedback in the meantime. Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your question about pain and a link with PV. To my mind I think it exaggerates everything. I myself am on quite a bit of pain relief for various joint ailments from my knee to my neck. Although I am getting on a bit there are people I know who have similar physical ailments though they still unlike me do a days work. I on the other hand need help a lot of the time. Maybe hydroxy carbamide could be adding to the pain I'm in, jury's out at min. But one thing I am convinced of, hydrea in my mind is definitely causing me to have restless leg syndrome and that is dreadful. Every night before I lie down I have my feet steeped in a basin of hot water.
    • Posted

Thanks for that, seems like I need to learn to live with what comes with PV  
  • Posted

Hi gary, I have been diagnosed for three yrs, and have noticed each of us who talk on this site, seem to have some different side effects. Your hemayologist probably takes notes of each patients pains. He would be the best person to know if those pains are common among all his patients. I know my hematologist does sometimes ask me questions that pertain to someone else's pain. He doesn't say so, but I can tell. I do sometimes get weird pains here and there, but I still feel good most of the time. Some days, I have a nap, others I don't. I exercise, work out at a gym, and do yard work daily. It takes my mind off problems and I sleep well. Hope this helps. Best wishes .

Harrishill

• Posted

Everyone is different, Wat might affect you may not necessarily apply to someone else. This disease for example has a detrimental effect on my health and because of this I take various drugs. As for a consultant questioning you about what ailments you have, that's their job, just because I list a number of ailments doesn't mean my doctor will ask you these questions. They are already are aware of every possible problem you may or may not have with pprv . I was born with this affliction and I could never understand why I always had failed health. Then 20 or more yr ago when I was diagnosed with the genetic version of this disease.
    • Posted

Continued....

It answered a lot of questions. You can't know why a doctor asks you questions about you physical health, you can assume but that don't make you right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.