Is this PF

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, I've had this pain before at my last retail job. (The job was only a month long). Since then, I've lost about 30 lbs and it seems to have helped, but a year later and about a 3 weeks into another retail job (Home Depot) lots of walking on concrete for about 90% of my shift. I'm now starting to feel the same pains. Really bad "bone feeling" pain really sharp when I'm getting up from rest, it calms down when I finally get walking but it's still there. I have dr schols insoles that help a but it doesn't help that sharp after rest pain.

Onto the location and why I'm asking if this is PF.

I always hear that PF is pain in the arches but mine are in a very specific location and feels like it's on the bone and I have little to no arch pain at all.

Here is a picture of the location.

http://ralphhavensphysicaltherapy.com/photos/flatfootpic.jpg

It's right around the areal labels post tibial tendinitis, except its not a muscle its a pain that actually hurts on the outer bone that's in that area.

Thanks for any suggestions, and if it is PF I would love suggestions on what to wear for my job. This is not a permenant job, I will be ending for school which is in August.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Plantar fasciitis is pain in the bottom of the heel - I've had it twice.  Although you can experience pain in the bottom mid-foot area.

I think what you have is peroneal tendonitis - physical therapy can help and instead of hard insoles, get soft cushion gel type ones to ease the pain.  Keep stretching the foot  by leaning against the wall with the one foot in back of you to pull the calf muscles.  I hate feet.

• Posted

Yeah I noticed stretches help. Another thing I noticed is that this "sharp" pain I feel after resting isn't always consistant.

Sometimes ill get up expecting it and it's totally gone just as fast as it came it's weird.

• Posted

Until the inflammation has gone then i;d steer clear of any trainers with anything on top of foot - cushion underneath a lot and leave top and side as free as possible to heal.  I think its being rubbed; there is a bone here (where you point) and it has 2 nobbles on it normally. If they are rubbed, then you can get a bone growth - bit like a bunion - which woudl need to be removed - so i'd wear soft fairly open shoes till inflammation gone.

​Make sure nothing is rubbing it.   I think the comes and goes thing is whn a nerve is infalmmed or slightly trapped and getting up releases it or something similar.    Go and see GP first port of call - they may refer you to podiatrist but i dont think its a gait issue - i think something is compressing or rubbing your foot or it doesnt quite have enough room so its irritating the navicular bone... if you google accessory navicular bone does this sound like what you may have?

• Posted

It doesn't look exactly like PF by it's location, but cushioning the foot is undoubtedly the best starting approach.  See my other posts.  If no improvement, see a podiatrist.  doknabox 
  • Posted

Hi, this does not eem to be PF - to answer your first question -  the Plantar tendon is under the foot and hurts in the middle of the underside of the heel.   The bone you feel - suggest you go to GP with your diagram and ask if you can have some ultrasound.  Now heres the thing - some of the population have an extra bone here - where you are pointing - its a kind of dinosuar throw-back thing - some people have an extra bone, some dont!!  I can tell you that sometimes it gets irritated if you wear trainers which compress it across the top of your foot (some trainers have elastic support over the foot - bin them.  This bone gets irritated and inflamed in a lot of skiers for example as the ski boots press on the top of the foot.  So make sure nothing pressing into top of foot and trainers not too tight. its almost certainly inflamed so you need to ice when you finish work and wear soft and comfy shoes which dont press on top of foot - cushion it cushion it cushion it - go see GP and point to exactly where it is hurting and ask if ultrasound woudl benefit you.
  • Posted

I have been doing PF excerises and taking high dose Ibuprofen 2 times a day.

this was day 1 with my new shoes (9 hour shift on concrete) there were times my feet hurt the same ways and others where it did not, but one tbing I did notice is that when I finally get home and rest for about 1+ hours it the pain is pretty much gone. Prior to this it would easily take 3-4 hours for it to get rid of soreness alone. These shoes are pretty snug, but I don't feel them making anthing worse and I think they will loosen up once broken in more.

For now my plan is to continue my excerises, take advantage of my 15-20 minute breaks every 2 hours and sign up for 1 hour lunches instead of just 30 mins. ill keep updating on how things are going in the coming weeks. (Also PF excerises work great for a quick fix in the morning, I feel that this most likely is PF)

• Posted

Hi Tony,

I agree with doknabox and that the right shoes and support/cushioning are going to be key.  And, also agree that if no improvement, see a podiatrist.

When with the doctor, I'd highly recommend you ask about EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology)--sometimes referred to as ESWT or Shockwave Therapy. It's clinically proven, non-invasive and there's no downtime. Treatment is usually 3-5 times once per week.

Good luck!  (P.S.  I'm a huge Home Depot fan!!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.