Is this plantar fasciitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, I have been suffering with pain in my feet on and off for the last  two years. My doctor diagnosed pf but I'm not so sure. Everything I've read about pf is pain in the heel, mine is more around the whole foot top and bottom and I get sharp stabbing pains in random places even at rest, my pain is in both feet at the same time and one is not worse than the other.the pain lasts all day and is particularly bad if I've been sitting for a while and stairs are very difficult.ive taken anti inflammatory tablets which took the swelling down but pain is still there, can anyone help and do you get it in both feet equally?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tina,  Doesn't sound like PF.  I had PF for 4 to 5 months.  It was only in my left heel.  Never effected the right heel.  Was sharp and stabbing but only in the heel.  And I didn't notice much swelling.  Check my other posts.  doknabox

• Posted

Thankyou, tbh think doctor wasn't sure himself but went with it as I fit the criteria, working on hard surface all day etc etc, but to me the symptoms don't match.

• Posted

This would be most atypical for Plantar Fasciitis. It sounds more like peripheral neuropathy. How is your circulation? Are you diabetic? Mention peripheral neuropathy and claudication to your doctor and if he insists that it is PF, go somewhere else and get another opinion. Are your feet cold? Can you feel your pulse in your feet? Pretty sure it is not PF.
    • Posted

No im not diabetic and don't have circulation problems, going to another doctor tomorrow 

• Posted

Yep I do sounds almost word for word same, in all honesty stretches, night splints & rolling feet on frozen bottle are only things that help.

I can tell you accupuncture definately has not worked for me, infact it has made it a lot worse.

If your sto mach can take strong anti inflamatories the ultimate best is Diclofenac the next one down that i have is Naproxen both stronger than Ibuprofen!! 

• Posted

Thankyou, seems like most people get it in heel usually one foot. I'm on Narproxen at the moment also trying frozen bottle but not helping much yet. I'm worried that I won't be able to continue my job as it's 8 hours on my feet and a lot of stairs.

• Posted

You poor thing i know the feeling _ have ordered some of that ubiquinol stuff as another chap mentioned so lets see ! All the best
    • Posted

Thankyou so much, just want to know what it is so that I know how to treat it it! I never knew the feet were so complicated! Thankyou for your input and hope it works out well for you
    • Posted

As we age our arches fall & the fatty pads in our feet disappear and then PF set in. See a physio for exercises to help with the pain and stiffness. Hot wax foot spa is wonderful

great 👍 arches and good padding in shoes . The arch support is most important.

🎄

• Posted

It's a nasty pain issue when our feet hurt.

i hated all the steroid injections and stupid custom arches that didn't help at all by podiatrists. 

I found a better soluton with Flexable inserts that have different sizes on metartsal and heel inserts that fits I the arch. I was amazed at the difference after searching for years . Shoes are also important the spring shoes takes hundreds of pounds per square inch of pressure off or feet too!

thats made a significant change in my feet and plantar is not a issue.

of course I fit all my shoes with the arch supports and wore spring shoes until the tear in the facia heeled. 

Doing adc adc exercises heled and of course the ice water bottle.

it you want the type in shoes and inserts I can Pm you. 

That was 8 years ago and some minor issues if I walk barefoot or without the proper arches.

• Posted

Hi Tina yes you can't get it in both feet at the same time I've had it in both feet for over three years now. You need to get it diagnosed by a podiatrist surgeon, I found he was the only one to get it right good luck 

• Posted

Tina, I have read a lot of these comments and everyone is trying to help but I really do not think you have plantar fasciitis. This is almost certainly a peripheral neuropathy. 

You can try all the treatments suggested by others for PF but I don't think they will help since you likely have a different problem.

If you can't get to a doctor right awayyou can try over the counter treatments for neuropathy like fish oil, N-acetyl cysteine, ubiquinol, and vitamins B,D,C,E. Google peripheral neuropathy and you may discover something that works for you. Unfortunately there is not a single absolute cure for all PN and you may have to try these anyway but they are fairly inexpensive and worth a try and will not harm you.

I am an MD and have had some peripheral nerve disorders so I know at least a little about this.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your help, I have since had more symptoms which include burning pain at night (enough to keep me awake) and also cold to touch , I am seeing a different doctor tomorrow so hopefully some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.