is this post hydrocele operation experience normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Right so when i was about 15 i noticed my right testicle was getting bigger, i didnt take notice for quite a while, but over the year it bigger and when I was 16 i decided to get seen by a doc, because it wasnt actually that big. they thought it might be cancer, so had an ultrsound and found out that it was actually an hyrdocele, my ultrasound doctor was erm, suprsied at the shape of the hydrocele and told me he'd be using it in medical books lol.

Anyway, so i decided that i wasnt actually that bothered about the hydrocele as it wasnt even that big, so i told the doc to leave it. Come the age of 17 and ive been having experinces with opposite sex that i decided to get it removed, mind that it wasnt even that big still, this was only like 2 weeks ago.

Anyway went through all the prepatory stuff, operation day comes, see my doctors etc and the surgeon asked to see it and he actually said he thought it was small. In the waiting room I was reading the possible side effects and problems and seriously considered leaving the operation, because it seemed like i didnt even need it, in the end i convinced myself to carry on. 

So ive had the op and i woke up feeling rather merry after the anestetic, i could walk talk and left after i could pay, never felt any pain but had a massive jock like packaging atround my teticles, pass 24 hours i decided to have a bath (which after research im not sure if it was a mistake. Had the bath took the bandage off, notice it was quite big and sore still. Had been taking all medication etc, so i decided to go to the docs the next day to get it checked out, he was suprsied that it was quite big thought i had an infection so prescribed me some more meds.told to come back two days later if swelling still big.

So two days later i noticed it was still quite big so i decided to go to GP again, my normal isnt there this week so this was a different person, she then told me that i should go to AnE just in case, so spent a few hours in there,where they said it might be something like a herona or something to do with blood inside, but then a urologist said it was just bruisng and swelling but he would put a refernce in with the surgeon to have a look at, and they would get back to me this monday coming. 

The thing is the hyrdrocele is like 2 or 3 maybe 4 x bigger than pre operation and that isnt what i signed up for, maybe im not being patient enough, it hasnt even been a week yet, but its huge now and my normal testicle is sitting at the bottom of my sac all wierd like, this is the opposite of what i wanted now it looks more wierd and if a girl wanted to see them this time it would be even worse yanoe? im asking if this level of swelling is normal, and from others with experience when did your swelling go down? is it smaller than pre op now? I bloody wish i never had it done now and lived with my smallish hydrocele, all my plans this month have been cancelled and i think its BS im quite dissapoitned and a little disheartend, i just wanted to feel normal this has just made me feel well, even worse for time being.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had one a week ago today (https://patient.info/forums/discuss/another-successful-hydrocele-operation-hydrocelectomy--272067). Mine sounds like it was bigger than yours, but it's still swolen and painful to stand so I can't do much. The urologist said that it could be swolen for quite some time as in weeks, although I could lift and do pretty much whatever I felt like doing after 8 days (tomorrow).

In spite of the pain when I stand, it's non-existent when I am horizontal so I spend most of my time that way. And I haven't taken any pain meds. It's worth getting checked out to make sure, but it could be part of the normal healing process.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply, my operation was 1 week ago today, i can walk fine and even went top a party tonight, today i wore tight jeans also! I think its going down though im not sure, i dont really like checking though i should, but its not painful and i dont think its getting bigger so it should be fine, has yours gone down alot in the week following? thanks.
    • Posted

That must have been you on the gurney next to me when I had mine. :-)

It's gone down a lot, and I can walk, but standing is a pain. I'm certainly not ready to go to a party now.

My urologist warned me that it might be swollen even more than before the operation for quite awhile but thankfully that's not true, it's a *lot* smaller.

• Posted

I think because mine was intially small anyway that the swelling being bigget than the actual hyrdrocele is quite normal, irl go for a check up wednesday, thanks for sharing and let me know of any developments you have smile
    • Posted

I heard from a friend today, he had one pea-sized about 12 years ago, said he was up an going after 3 days or so.
    • Posted

Im now 10 weeks post surgery and I STILL have swelling it is quite frustrating as my hydrocele wasnt that big and the swelling makes it look like nothing has changed (its quite hard as well). I saw my doc 5 weeks after surgery and he didnt seem concerned I have read it can take up to 6 months for all residual swelling to go down, I see him again in December I hope the swelling has subsided by then because even though he doesnt seem concerned I am quite nervous it will never go down.
  • Posted

hey guys

hallo

i m  17 years old and i have hydrocele problem till 3 moonths it doesnt pain and left side testicle is much large in compare to other sided testicle . Even i dosn't decided to take surgery because i think surgery is very tuff and it pain me .so please provide me the way .. what suould i have to do for controling this prob.

• Posted

Its not harmful to you but if you want it gone then surgery is the only way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.