Is this Shingles?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am (98%) of the time a very healthy 30yo woman. This past week I noticed some bumbs/rash on my back that was slightly itchy. Within a few days it has become inflamed and almost blister like, along with a couple other areas on my body - my side and belly- all of the rash is on only one side of my body. Can anyone help me determine that this could possibly be shingles by the photos attached? I am w/o health insurance, but I also understand there is no specific treatment for shingles, just things to help relieve the pain. Thanks in advance!

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sounds very much like it. You need to see a Doc as soon as poss to get antiviral medication. This helps to shorten the length of the attack and hopefully prevent PHN, (post herpetic neuralgia.) You should also have some strong pain meds if you're having a lot of pain. Are you in the US? This is a UK forum so cannot tell you about health insurance, most of us here are in the NHS. rolleyes

• Posted

Andrea,

We can't see the photos, but if you have vesicle-blisters on a red base, and have a burning, lancinating, or itching sensation, and it is one-sided, it sounds like Herpes Zoster-Shingles. As Pollyanna stated, you need to see a Physician ASAP, as you need an antiviral and analgesic. May I ask where you live? How much pain are you having?

Are you having fatigue, exhaustion, malaise?

You also need to have the pain appropriately treated to lessen your suffering and prevent Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

If you are in the States, some clinics accept a sliding scale fee and do not verify income...

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye.

Please let me know how I can help you.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Andrea,

It looks like Herpes Zoster-Shingles to me.

Nothing compares to examining you in a live office visit, however. Do you have burning or lancinating or itching sensation beneath the rash? Do or did you have fatigue, headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, prior to onset of the rash?

Where do you live? Have you had chickenpox in the past? Do you have children at home? Have they been vaccinated against chickenpox? You are contagious if your rash is uncovered. Good handwashing is essential. Fortunately, the areas can be covered with clothing. If you live in the States, there are Federal clinics that take patients based on a sliding scale fee. They do not check your income.

Please see a Physician ASAP.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Please, PLEASE listen to the advice from others. It definitely sounds like shingles and as mentioned there IS treatment if started early enough, ideally 72 hours. You may have found it soon enough, but I'm not sure . Get to a doctor and lt them decide. I understand your concern regarding money, but as someone who is still dealing with shingles who didn't catch it early enough. You want to get on top of this immediately!

It's very likely to last weeks, if not months, and you may need the regular drugs given to deal to both help healing and deal with the pain. There can be mild cases but not very often. In my case, the pain wasn't bad the first 7-10 days, but got increasingly worse. I hope we helped, let us know how you're doing. I joined this group about two months ago and they've been incredible helpful, informative and supportive.

• Posted

Thank you for the response babs! The input is very much appreciated!
    • Posted

On the up side, GabapentinNeurontin used for the pain of shingles does help. On the down side, it gives you foggy brain as demonstrated by all the typos in my previous post!! I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the stuff and I wish they'd give us a little time to fix typos here.

• Posted

It sounds like shingles.  I couldn't see the photos but I know that shingles only goes on one side of the body.  I'm beginning rhe 9th week of shingles pain since I didn't get to the doctor soon enough. 

• Posted

Sorry the pictures didn't post the first time - here is a second go.

• Posted

I would go and see thre Dr as we are not professionals on here and can't really diagnose . 

• Posted

Just looked at your pics. Does look like shingles and as the blisters don't look as if they've burst and scabbed yet you should go and get the antiviral meds recommended asap. Best wishes, Poll UKrolleyes

• Posted

Hi Everyone, 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. Your comments help pushed me to go to Urgent Care this morning. I do, indeed, have shingles. I have started my antiviral and was also given pain killers for the nerve pain. 

Now, onto educating myself on preventative care and what supplements I can take to keep myself healthy as possible to avoid future outbreaks. 

Thanks again for the care and support! 

Best,

Andrea 

• Posted

Andrea1986,

This Patient site, and all discussions about Shingles have helped so many. I'm so glad to hear that you heeded the advice given to you. I found this site when my husband had shingles. With a previous Shingles vaccine, his was relatively mild. As has been stated by many before, many doctors are not savvy about this condition. 

• Posted

Andrea,

I am very relieved you went to Urgent Care!

I hope you feel better soon. Please let us know how you are doing! The group really cares about you!

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Andrea,

I strongly suggest that you be assertive in your care. Be a student and investigate other topics in the Shingles forums, especially the ongoing discussion in Exhausted Post Shingles. The easiest way is to get there is to open a new window in your browser and insert this link.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/exhausted-post-shingles-385355?

page=0#2510973 

Take notes. So much valuable information from others, especially Merry Juliana, who in her constant pain is giving to others. 

My best to you!  Sierramar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.