Is this the worst? Doesn't sound like it though...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Facts:

I am 33, male, asian (Indian), with a mostly plants/fruits/grain based diet with occasional chicken and eggs. NO goat/fish/cow/pork in the diet.

Symptoms (and not):

1) Cow plop like 'pastey' BM, with fecal fat (steatorrhea) every day for the last 10+ months. Frequency is once or twice/day.

2) NOTHING else! No pain, no excess gas, no discomfort, no pencil stools, no rashes, no loss of appetite.

Tests done:

1) Blood test for celiac returned negative for both IgG and IgA.

2) Stool report showed no blood or occult blood, no mucus, no parasite/cysts/ova. Occasional pus cells. Acidic reaction. Color brown.

So my only 2 questions are:

1) This is far fetched, but can this be cancer? Yeah I know I have NO other symptoms apart from the change in stools.

2) Does this sound more like a food introlerence or some other digestive/absorption issue and not cancer?

3) I mean can only this one thing warrant a colonoscopy or is too far fetched?

(I keep asking for cancer because frankly I am scared for my 2 kids! :'( Hope you people understand where I come from.)

P.S. Doctor here are weird. I went to a super famous gut expert, and he prescribed me 2 anti-biotics, 2 anti-parasite, 2 pro-biotics... without even getting a stool report first!

+ He recommended tests right from kidney failure, thyroid function, CBC, celiac, tumour marker, chest X-ray, and 3 day stool reports. 

Thanks in advance people!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, please remember that any comments made here are opinions only, non of us are medically qualified, so we're commenting only based on our own experiences. So, as they did blood tests, I'm pretty sure they would have done a standard test for indications of cancer possibility.

It does sound more like some sort of food intolerance, possibly dairy? I'd suggest keeping a food diary, to see if you can spot any correlation between symptoms and certain foods.

Has your GP recommended a colonoscopy? I assume you are seeing a GP as well as the 'expert'? What does he suspect it may be?

There are a number of other possibilities besides Celiac, and long before you get to the possibility of cancer.

You say doctors here are weird- where exactly are you?

• Posted

Hey, thanks for replying.

I am currently living in Mumbai, that's in India. Been here for the last 14 years so I am almost an Indian now! :D

Yes, visited a GP before going to the gut expert, the GP gave me anti-biotics + probitic and sent me on my way!

Somehow, in India, it's not treated as serious until it is!

Just a thought, wouldn't dairy/lactose issue cause at least "one" other symptom like bloating/gas/flatulence/pain, etc?

• Posted

I really don't know, which is why I suggested a food diary, and then next day list signs & symptoms. That may give a GP more to go on. It may also help you pinpoint if ceratin things cause it to be worse. You also have to remember to inclue all the ingredients- it could be something crazy. for instance, my Hubby is allergic to onions, they give him migraines. Garlic- part of the same plant family- no problem. The same for powdered onion. No problem. Just 'real' onion.

• Posted

Can you be more descriptive about your stool? It's not clear. Are they small?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.