is trauma the cause of F/S ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had an accident at work and my right shoulder came out of the socket " very very painful " it was after this that i developed F/S . that was cured with surgery , but at the end of last year i fell at work and landed on my left side , at the time i just had bruising on my upper arm , nothing to serious , but then after a month my shoulder developed the same symptoms as the other , now i am having physio but it isnt really working , i just wonder if others on here suffered any trauma prior to developing F/S ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim. It would seem that doctors don't have any idea why fs kicks off. If you read up about it most papers say its mainly women, usually menopausal, more prevalent in diabetics and can occur after trauma or surgerys or for no apparent reason and from reading the stories off the sufferers on this site it would appear that it follows no set pattern. Research papers also say that if you get it in one shoulder the other will follow sooner or later (my surgeon said this is not generally the case in his experience). Mine stemmed from trauma and i had hydrodilitation followed by physio then just as I was on the good side of it had another accident (same shoulder) followed by surgery. I now have physio to try to stop it refreezing (so far so good). My surgeon told me that while it is in the freezing stage hard physio will make it worse so gentle stretches (not beyond pain) and painkillers were the way forward until in the thawing stage when it can be stepped up (unless you have one of the surgeries they can offer). So it would appear anything goes for this wretched condition. I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

my right shouler was 99% better after surgery , that was 3 years ago , my left shoulder is slowly worsening and i think i will end up having sugery again . my problem at the moment is not being able to work
    • Posted

I know, its very hard. I work for myself so had no choice but I found that with a bit of adaptation (I have a very manual job) it actually helped keep movement. If surgery worked for you the first time I would be tempted to go again. Good luck.
    • Posted

i am also a manual worker , work is a necessity so i will have to go back , i would have the surgery again but last time i was waiting for about a year , first the surgeon tried injections, intensve physio, and then more injections , never worked though so still had surgery , trouble is i dont wanna be out of action for a year again .
    • Posted

Wow!! I only waited 5 weeks for my first proceedure and less than 3 for the op on my collarbone. I guess I am lucky with where I live. You could always try to go out of area, they are reluctant but I think it is your right to choose these days and other areas may be quicker. Take care.
    • Posted

i think the NHS is just about at breaking point , queues in my area are long, i havent reached the surgery stage yet , not been suggested until i finish with physio
  • Posted

Hi, I had trauma and it slowly deteriorated. Calcification grew, causing tendinitis, bursitis and impingement.

ask for an X-ray to rule out fractures or arthritis.

heat bag 20 mins pror to stretching, then 20 mins ice pack afterwards. It really helps.

yoga for dummies on you tube has excellent stretching techniques.

i had arthroscopic decompression surgery, then 2 months later manipulation under anaesthetic. I'm now feeling so much better. In my opinion, you know how much pain you're in so tell your GP and ask to see an orthopaedic consultant if you're struggling.

good luck.

• Posted

Oh yes. I fractured my shoulder prior. If you check out Gerry the neck on this forum. He has a theory which might interest you.

Sorry about your FS. Mine is improving now - after 6 months. Gerry - and I actually - favour lots of rest and sleeping in a semi upright position if that's easier. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that intervention of any kind helps much. I didn't even bother doing much stretching but things are resolving of their own accord. Wish you luck.

One more thing. I did actually have some cranio sacral therapy for the trauma early on. That I would actually recommend.

• Posted

ok i will take a look atthe thread , i am having physio , they gave me a series of exercises to do at home , it helps a little but i think i will end up having surgery because its slowly worsening :-(
    • Posted

cranio sacral therapy , im not sure what thatis but i will google it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.