Is Valsartan in short supply nationwide?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Valsartan for my high blood pressure for two years. The pharmacist told me this week that Valsartan is in short supply and changed it to Losartan potassium.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Losartan is not the same as Valsartan.  (Diovan).  Losartan is not as selective.  It can cause dryness in your lungs.  Valsartan is probably difficult to obtain because it's now out of the Patent period - the pharmaceutical company doesn't make as much money now. 
  • Posted

My wife picked up hers yesterday, I would phone one or two chemists for the correct story
  • Posted

It was unavailable for a few weeks a couple of months ago.  The Diovan patent ran out, and they stopped producing it.  The generic version was difficult to get hold of.  My pharmacist enquired, and my GP, and that's what they found.  Valsartan may be back now.
  • Posted

I have been on Valsartan for about a year.  Suddenly I was told that it was not available due to "manufacturing problems".  I then tried Irbesartan, but didn't like it very much.  However, about a month ago the Dr. said that Valsartan was now available, so I have commenced taking this again.  Contact your Pharmacist if you are having problems obtaining same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.