ISOSORBIDE MONONITRATE high blood pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor decided to put me on isosorbide mononitrate 30 mg once daily to treat my hypertension.  I had tried all the major groups of medications and couldn't get over the side effects.  Calicum channel blockers made me retain water in my ankles and feet.  Water pill caused my gout, legs to ache.  Now I'm on a nitrate.  People at work think I'm crazy for trying a nitrate to lower my blood pressure.  My blood pressure was 160/108 the other day.  What do you think? Should I end this experiment before it starts?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i have it for my Prinzmetal and blood vessel dilation (also lowers blood pressure by dilation) took me a month to get over the headaches..... but it was and is (so far i think) woirth it
  • Posted

Well I went for a walk, came back home to find my bp had dropped. I was as low as 106/59. Dr. Office is closed, so I guess I'll monitor bp and may not take this medication until I talk to dr. Strange that one pill would drop you this so fast. I'm impressed over this one.
    • Posted

Maybe after a discussion with your doctor he may get you to try half a tablet, from memory I think isosorbate is a scored tablet so that it can be broken in half.
  • Posted

Hi todd,

Depending on size and your body make up isosorbide mononitrate can drop your blood pressure, sounds like your doctor has started you off on the right dosage, I take 120 mg's a day along with 480 mg's of cardizem and my blood pressure hits  160/90 during a prinzmetal attack.

The doctors were telling me that your body can get immune to nitrates more so if you are on multiple ones. The headaches "normally" only last  anywhere from a day to a week

• Posted

I guess I'll not take my nighttime medication losartan as my bp is 108/61. ANY lower and I won't make it until tomorrow morning. I hope this is the right decision to make.
    • Posted

Personally if I was you I'd seek your doctors advice first, although if the tablet is scored(Isosorbate) you could try that and see what it does to your BP as I'm assuming you have a BP monitor at hand ?

You might be a bit surprised here but just looking at "normal blood" pressure chart for adults it's showing 108/61 is in the  normal range. Yes I did think it strange too but according to the chart ...91/61- 120/80 is in the  ideal range...that's how I'm reading it .

• Posted

thats made me think again, thank you... darn i thought my 180 over 70 was ok... hmmm more checks i guess interesting
    • Posted

Hi Andrew,

No that's on the high side.. sometimes mines been up to 200/95

The bottom number is with in reason just not the top one

• Posted

106/61 is a good number, any lower u would be on the floor, mine went lower then that 1 day and I felt very weak and then I passed out on the floor, family member called 911 and family slapped my face to wake me up till paramedics came.   Differently see your heart dr about the pill. Good luck and stay healthy.
  • Posted

I am not a dr, but with blood presure that high it's all depending on your height and weight, plus what you did when u took your BP. Yes that pill lowers yourBP that's because dr noticed your BPwas high. I take the same pill but only 15 mg pill. Have to cut in 1/2 to make it 15, I also take a bisoprolo for high BP. My BP is around 110 over 60, I am 54 year old at 112lbs. Had open heart about 10 years ago.    Ask your dr if u should stop it first. 

• Posted

For you age that is a pretty damned good blood pressure smile  pretty well text book specifications lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.