issues rearing up after nearly a year since surgery.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all,

I noticed I've been dealing with some issues and wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with them since having their gallbladder removed.

Mine started a few weeks ago after my daughters birthday party. I had 3 beers (my limit without having pain), but this time, I had pain where my GB used to be. It got bad, but abated, and now, it seems like anytime I eat, I get the pain, and recently, nausea. I don't think it's acids reflux because i don't get heartburn with it. It's gotten to the point at times where I feel like vomiting is the best option, but I don't. and I know when I eat greasy things, it causes bowel issues (I know that's a side effect of not having a gallbladder anymore).

Has anyone else dealt with this, and how did you relieve it or treat it?

Thanks

Tom

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have the same problem. The doctors say there is nothing wrong but the psin is so severe, brings me down to the ground crying. I had a gall bladder full of stones and had it removed in 2010. I get nausea, diarrhea often.

• Posted

I had mine removed to be exact a year a go now and one time I was drinking and when I took in the first zip  I felt a niddle like pain in my abdoment and never felt so good about drinking. I cut it down and has not druken since ....  Was the pain like niddle ?
    • Posted

If I drink, it's a sharp pain. But if I eat, it's a dull, building pain.

If it keeps up. I'm gonna call the doctor.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear that you are suffering with the nausea , I had my gallbladder removed a year ago and I am still getting terrible bouts of nausea that can last from a day to weeks my GP prescribed metraclomide and cyclizine which does help but if I had known what I could be letting myself in for I would not have had the surgery done , the nausea can be debilitating at the times . Hope you get some relief soon.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with a gallstone about 8 months ago. My only symptom, really, has been the nausea. I haven't wanted to get the surgery because people on this site and others seem to still have so many of the same symptoms. The nausea is very dibilitating! My sister tells me to just "get the surgery!" But if the same symptoms continue, than what is the point
    • Posted

Elizabeth,   i hope I am not interfering,  but please check out the Metacopromide with your GP... Mine has stopped prescribing it, due to the side effects.  Apparenly it's OK  for occasional use only.   The   severe pain of  gall stones would have forced you to have surgery sooner or later, I think..    regards, Joan    
    • Posted

K,

I really haven't had any issues since I had my gallbladder out (except the occaisonal loose stool and the needing to go the bathroom immediately after eating).

But having it out was a relief over everything else I was dealing with. 6 months of pain, nausea, and dry heaving on a daily basis any time I ate. I lost 40 lbs in 3 months after not being able to eat anything except the brat diet.

• Posted

Thanks. I appreciate the thought. I can eat. I don't always feel like eating, but I can eat. And it often helps the nausea go away. At least for a while. What diet are you thinking of when you say "brat diet". I have certainly stopped eating the things with too much grease. But "eating healthy" (what some people say) is too general a term to be helpful.
    • Posted

Mine got to the point where I was on what they called the BRAT diet. Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. I also ate a lot of Jello. But even with that, I would get sick. My gallbladder was hyperactive. My EF score on my HIDA scan was over 80%.

• Posted

Many years ago when I had an ulcer I ate pretty much like that but it was called a "white diet" or a "sippy diet"! I could eat mashed potatoes but no gravy (or melted butter). I could have milk on rice crispies, etc., etc. Sounds like the same thing. I have not heard of a "hyperactive gallbladder" though. I thought I knew what the HIDA scan does. But I don't know what an EF score is. I just knew that the scan found the stone.
  • Posted

Hi guys.    I had my gall bladder removed 52 years ago, when I was 28 yrs old.    I was very shocked and surprised when I began to feel the very same pain in the very same place when I was 75..  Unbelievable, isn't it ?    It seems that   I have ave developed  Sphincter of Oddi  Dysfunction  [ SOD]  which you willbe able to  research on this website, and others..It  seems to be a quite common condition,  after gall bladder removal.   After   4 more years of bloating, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting an pain  i am now waiting for an ERCP, [ also researchable]   a procedure   which is not to be undertaken lightly.. .  Metacopromde  should not be taken on a regular basis   Elizabeth, 20 .   I was told by my GP that It has terrible  neurological  side effects.  Check it out. .    I hope you are able to get expert help for this unleasant condition.   Best of luck to all of you that suffer from it.   Regards, Joan
    • Posted

Hi Joan

I just spent the weekend in pain. Did not go to hospital as was home alone with my child. My gallbladder was removed 6yrs ago and I am starting to have this pain more and more.

• Posted

Hi Marketa, gall bladder pain is onewe never forget , isn't it /  Sounds like SOD  to me. i hope you feel better soon    Joan
    • Posted

Me too Joan. I am using pepto and pain pills. It is better today, it comes and goes. Very hard to diagnose though.... Thank you.
    • Posted

Pepto has never helped me. I prefer Gaviscon, liquid or tablet. Though it helps me because I have bad constipation with all my stuff. If you have diarrhea then avoid magnesium based stuff. And have you tried the Alka-Seltzer calcium chews? I hate eating anything resembling a Tums. But the chewables are actually good. And they help :-) !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.