Issues with breathing

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Does anyone have issues with breathing when you are having relapse? When I have a crash (relapse) it feels almost like an effort to breathe. Its hard to describe.  It feels strained but not a struggle ... Probably not making sense ... Sorry 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You might be describing "air hunger," which is sometimes experienced with ME/CFS. I had air hunger when I first got this illness, and it eventually subsided.
    • Posted

Hi Jackie, 

Did u find out what causes the 'air hunger '

I think u describe one of my symptoms perfectly. 

Thanks 

• Posted

I went to a cardiologist and wore a heart monitor for a day, to rule out heart problems. Results were normal. I don't think it's known what causes this symptom. Just something else we have to live with, that hopefully goes away after a time.
    • Posted

Same thing happened to me. I got a 24 hour heart monitor and results were clear. In some cases I don't think it's the heart, check a polmonologist or the doctor for lungs which is what I will do in the future . I'm not a doctor I'm a tween dealing with this already and I already can't take it it has lasted a whole day to a whole WEEK and it can be really difficult to pay attention in class. I looked up my symptoms, chest on the side left or right pains hurt when you move, take a deep breath, etc. and it hurts around the middle upper rib cage on either side and can move. This is called Costochondritis and it is like an inflammation as I have read but I don't know if it ends or if it keeps going. It hurts BAD for me to the point where the only place I can find relief is when I'm sleeping. It hasn't happened for a while but it really bothers me. I think it has something to do with when your lungs rub against your diaphragm or something like that and it gets inflamed. Again I'm not a doctor, not even a teenager yet but this problem is really getting me mad I don't want to live with this...

• Posted

Hi Donna, 

Yes! I know exactly what u mean. For me it is worse when I am lying down too ( or maybe I just notice it more then?) 

It almost feels like I am 'pulling' my breath. 

X

• Posted

Thank you for responding. The way I feel has me questioning every including my sanity! The list of symptoms attatched to cfs is endless. Although the thought of having diagnosis confirmed is beginning to scare me. It wont change how bad symptoms are but hope will fade as GP fairly negative 
    • Posted

I can see this post is fairly old now but I couldn’t agree with you anymore.  Like another girl I’ve read about I hah recently had more bad days than good and so I’m finally pushing for a diagnosis after four years in denial. THE symptoms are endless .. and the thought of having a confirmed diagnosis is frightening me too sad 
  • Posted

I have started waking up during the night gasping for air and it's very frightening.  It doesn't seem to happen during the day though.  This has only just started for me although other symptoms for CFS have been going on for some time.  Apart from the usual syptoms (I have 14 of the 17 symptoms already listed on the CFS/ME website), I have also had a sore throat for almost 8 weeks now.  When will it ever end?  sad
    • Posted

The sore throat indicates you are having a flare-u--you are in relapse mode.New sypmtoms can be very scary. Take is real easy.
    • Posted

Hello... I'm new here but I also have sleep apnea along with several other disorders including CFS. The gasping for air in the middle of the night sounds like a sleep apnea symptom. Have you had a sleep study done? They can be an inconvenience but they aren't painful. Also, you may consider asthma or something called costochondritiaffects the muscles in the outer chest walls. It can be painful but not dangerous and will make you feel like you are gasping for air. A heating pad helps. But nothing will help asthma except an inhaler or staying away from an allergen that may be bothering you. Also, for any women who might be reading this there is the consideration of anemia. I usually become breathless when I am anemic and that happens once a month. Sigh. I am sure I am not the only one who is really sick of this disease. sad

• Posted

That other symptom/problem is called "costochondritis". It is pain in the outer muscles of the chest walls but does not affect the heart.  I couldn't edit once I posted. :-)
    • Posted

Hi ...

What's wrong with this site?  I nearly finished my response and it disappeared!!!  Having to type it all again and the first one was an effort in itself!!!

I had said that I'd had a bad week with no energy to even read the messages here never mind answer or comment on any.  Work is piling up again and it's depressing to say the least at the thought of having to catch up yet again.  😟

I have had asthma for some years now.  I take the antihistamine Fexofenadine (for an allergy to something I'm breathing in), and also the blue inhaler Salbutamol and thought they were sufficient.  The gasping for breath during the night hasn't happened the last few nights, it's been the reflux of acid instead!  Can't win! 😠

As I don't have any pain as such in my chest, it's probably not costocondritis.  Apart from reflux, I sometimes get a strange dull, achy tightness where you get heartburn, which is very unpleasant and is only relieved by burping which I find difficult to do.

Regarding sleep apnoea, no I've not had a sleep study done, but strangely, my husband and I have been taking our oldest daughter (who's in her late 40s) to the sleep clinic at Wythenshawe Hospital for nearly a year now.  She has the wear a mask, connected to a machine, over her mouth every night.  Can't be very pleasant for her but she says it helps and she's not falling asleep during conversations now.  I'll see how the gasping goes and if it does continue, I'll speak to the doctor and see if he's interested!  After 65, they tend to fob everything off as 'it's your age you know!  At 72 I'm at the wrong end of the scale.  

Many thanks for your reply and help. 😀

• Posted

Sometimes my blood pressure can go up causing my breathing . I keep a wrist pressur cup to check my pressure. If it up I can lay down take my med and within a few minutes I can breathe better. 

That's what works for me. U should ck with UR doc everyone is different and what causes or helps me may be totally different that what u have issues in UR breathing.

• Posted

I have immune problems, latest diagnoses Sjorgrens/Lupus, I have bouts of feeling sick, pain, stiffness and I feel as if I have had a thump between my shoulder blades, when breathing. I haven't seen a Dr. About it yet. Tomorrow I have a new knee replacement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.