It now appears i have Undetermined Colitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well came back to hospital my doctor finally had me admitted in on tuesday and when i came in i was informed that i have evidence of UC on one side and Chrohns on the other side. so they are puting me on Infliximab to see if that will work, as i have had this condition since last August and now only getting the treatment, i have said they have 10 days to get a result of some form if not I want it all removed bit drastic but trying to build a business and get my life back, anyway will keep you posted Thanks John

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi John. They do take a long time in getting you on the right treatment,I was about 6 months waiting like you,Sorry you are thinking of those drastic measures.But give everything a try first.Good luck and let us know how you go on. 
  • Posted

Hi John... That's a bit of a bummer not knowing which u r dealing with. Hopefully the treatment will work pretty quickly for u and u can get back to bit of normality MJ
  • Posted

Hi All thanks for replies, yes aware it is a bit drastic but then we as humans will always look at the best way, however i will try the treatments first to see if this can help if not i am prepared to have the more drastic route after studying it and speaking to other people that have gone through this treatment, but lets see what happens

thanks All

• Posted

Hi John.....if they are willing to do it if ur colon is in pretty bad shape and u r suffering a lot then go for it. I no I on hindsight should have done it a number of years ago as my quality of life is much superior, I have no symptoms and can eat what I want . Some medics will actually say that nothing is known for the long term effects of the present newer drugs and surgery could b the better route in the longer run as they can also have their side effects and I suppose in severe cases one is only putting off the inevitable. Do plenty thinking get and plenty research and good luck MJ
    • Posted

Hi MJ thanks for your reply, I am looking into all avenues and doing lots of research as I dont want one of those hindsight thoughts but like all good things come right you do your research and checks and in the end you get it right hope all is well with you

John

• Posted

Yeah I'm doing good....thank u.....I must say even though I knew I had to have surgery I did loads research and went and seen relevant people to familiarise myself with how it was all going to be. I put myself in the zone lol for it and had I think mentally had adapted or imagined myself with stoma b4 I went for surgery which I think helped. I suppose it's all well and dandy when u get time to do that but for those who have emergency ileostomies or colostomies it would b more difficult ! MJ
    • Posted

Well that is very true as I did have my mind set on going straight into the zone for the bag but being offered a chance with a drug that could help has given me the chance to be sure. and yes know a couple of people i know that has had the emergency one and have never been right since really messed up their minds Thanks John
  • Posted

Hi All I have now had it confirmed that I have interdetemined Colitis as I am showing ulcers and inflamation on the left and on the right biopsys came back with crohns going into the small intestine, i am now on a course of Steriods for 8 weeks Pentasa 4grams a day 2grams twice a day, paracetamol 4 times a day, ADcal-D3 twice a day, Potassium tablets twice a day and ordered to take in 4 litres of water minimum, seems to be work stool on a bristol 4 level and mucus and blood stopped lets hope this is done as trying to avoid the stoma bag as i feel that will be a waste of time with the crohns part as that will infect the whole digest system and not just the large intestine. any way good luck to all and hope it goes well for you
    • Posted

My son was indeterminate Colitis at his general hospital, but the experts at John Radcliffe Hosp Oxford were sure he was just UC and he has just had his last reversal operation and he has a J pouch. He had the ileostomy at the Gen hosp as his large bowel perforated while they were waiting for Infliximab to work. He waited 18  months for everything to heal and for him to be a normal weight again and to be seen and tested at the JR and then he had a 2 stage reversal. He is like many who write on these forums able to live a pain free, drug free life after surgery as he is disease free. He could have stayed with a stoma but the reversal was possible and he is young so why not! He is home today from JR and looking forward to the rest of his life.
    • Posted

Hi Sheila

That is great news I was going for the Infliximab route but unfortunately I had a virus from years ago, so that has now stopped this route of treatment. but I am glad your son is going to do well

Many thanks #John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.