It's not GERD or reflux, what is it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Few months ago i think i had anxiety attack but now some of the symptoms are back but im not sure what they are honestly, throughout the day i do not feel anything it is always after 10-11 PM at night i start experiencing few of the symptoms :

1) I feel like i want to get smthg out like vomit but its not really vomit its like a big burp stuck in my throat but i cant get it out and everytime this happens its like i burp with no air coming out 2 times and then the third it actually gets out and i feel relieved

2) It seems when im laying on my right side its worse but not when im on my back or left side 

I just can't get the feeling that i feel like an uncomfortable feeling in the back of my throat in the  oesophage it feels a bit relieved when i burp and when i sleep and wake up the next day nothing all gone even after meals nothing at all until at night

The reason i stated no GERD or reflux is because 2-3 months back i did the endoscopy and the doctor said there is nothing i also did thyroid test by blood also nothing is wrong. Any idea what this could be? Stress? anxiety or maybe digestive problem?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry it is weird that it is not GERD...I don't think I have GERD..but all your symptoms sound like you do!

I guess maybe it might just be anxiety...and now that you are anxious...you are possibly causing these attacks with concern that it will happen every night.

• Posted

That's what i thought about, thinking about it happening is triggering it i think. It started happening after that day when i ate before i sleep and woke up bothered from burning chest im guessing it was acid but just for that night i truly felt it was acid, ever since that night i started experining these.. maybe that is why being scared or anxious.

• Posted

yea, so what can you do?

This will sound funny...but when I was a kid...I used to have really bad nightmares for a period of time...SO BAD (about a bunch of monsters coming to get me)....I was about 8 years old...The dreams frightened me so bad that my mother summoned my aunt over to talk to me one night because I would not go to sleep and I was close to my aunt.

My aunt made me yell out loud "Tommorow morning I better not dream".  That night I went to sleep....and did not dream...I guess I yelled that many nights until I got over it and I never dreamt those dreams again. LOL.

Our minds are POWERFUL.  So....tonight about 2 hours before bed....tell yourself...I will not have those symptoms tonight....it is all me causing them...being worried...this is ridiculous.  

Really try to convince yourself that you are bringing them on and refuse to bring them on....see if it works...lol

What she told me to do....

• Posted

I will try this and get back to you! Thank you for your advice smile I highly appreciate it

• Posted

Maybe have some Chamomile tea...

This tea is very weak...no caffiene...and is a herbal thing.

This tea is supposed to have a calming effect.  Maybe doing something like that will make your mind believe that you are doing something good for your body....and the herbs have magical powers of making you a bit relaxed too....so maybe starting the bedtime routine of having this tea with the thought that you are combating the symptoms.

I drink this tea now at night...I was fighting alcoholism and I was very restless at night without having alcohol to fall asleep....the tea helped ease my mind and made me feel like I could "do" something to calm down.

• Posted

Hi not entirely sure what it could be especially as you have not mentioned any other symptoms? It is most likely a digestive problem, possibly excess acid production which can cause the burping.

when do you eat the last meal of the day? is it worse with any particular kinds of food?

You can try peppermint oil capsules, they help to settle the stomach and are great for overall digestive health.

• Posted

Have you tried Omeprezole either Rx or OTC?
    • Posted

Yes i have but the symtomps stopped even after i stopped this, i was taking the medicament because i thought it was acid reflux until i did the endoscopy and the doctor confirmed there is nothing and i am healthy, i've done other coupleo of tests too.. nothing.

However, omeprazol didn't seem to do any good action to me nothing at all it wasn't the issue it wasn't reflux but im not sure if it is digestive thing or not.

• Posted

yea, so what can you do?

This will sound funny...but when I was a kid...I used to have really bad nightmares for a period of time...SO BAD (about a bunch of monsters coming to get me)....I was about 8 years old...The dreams frightened me so bad that my mother summoned my aunt over to talk to me one night because I would not go to sleep and I was close to my aunt.

My aunt made me yell out loud "Tommorow morning I better not dream".  That night I went to sleep....and did not dream...I guess I yelled that many nights until I got over it and I never dreamt those dreams again. LOL.

Our minds are POWERFUL.  So....tonight about 2 hours before bed....tell yourself...I will not have those symptoms tonight....it is all me causing them...being worried...this is ridiculous.  

Really try to convince yourself that you are bringing them on and refuse to bring them on....see if it works...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.