Itching all over with no obvious cause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently I have been getting a full body itch that used to only start at night now has gone to an itch from when I wake to when I go to sleep.  Went to the doctors they gave me some medicine hasn't worked and this is driving me crazy also making my sleeping problems worse than it already is.nthe it hi is getting so bad I am scratching in spots untill it bleeds just so It can stop for a short while in that spot.    Please help of you can

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Maybe it could possibly be a allergy to the washing powder/liquid/conditioner you are using for your bedsheets and clothing? 
  • Posted

I started to itch all over some years ago and my GPs gave me all sorts of things for it, then a GP I hadn't seen,gave me a sedating antihistamine called Hydroxyzine.  I took 25mg at night and it knocked me out.  I still itched but didn't notice it so much at night.

I had seen a Dermatologist about 10 years prior to this, so I already knew that I was allergic to Formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers.  I am very careful about products that I use.

Ask your GP to refer you to a Dermatologist.  My itching subsequently turned out to be Bullous Pemphigoid, which was then changed to Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.  GPs don't tend to know a huge amount about skin problems, unless it is their Specialty.

You can ask your GP for Hydroxyzine and a 'potent' or 'very potent' steroid cream to apply to any lesions, again, GPs tend not to give out the strongest creams, so over the counter steroid creams don't help at all.  And, ask for a referral.

• Posted

Hi there

I too have experience of hydroxyzine and have found it to be an excellent anti-histamine for skin itching.  However, I've recently been taken off it as it isn't compatible with my anti-depressant, which is a real blow.  I'm on cetirizine now which is hopeless.  I don't know what I'm allergic too, apart from pollen since being a baby, my skin irritation is a recent thing though, I'd wondered if it had any connection with the amount of mineral water I drink, but concensus seems to be against this.  I find cotton clothes better than anything fibrous like wool, I must be one of Cotton Traders best customers!

Lizzie

• Posted

I'll post a link to an article that appeared earlier this year, this is the first paragraph

Physicians should take certain precautions in prescribing the first-generation antihistamine hydroxyzine to minimize the drug’s risk for potentially fatal heart arrhythmias, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) announced today.

• Posted

I stopped taking it because after about 18 months of taking it, I developed restless legs when I took it.

I was put on Prednisolone for the condition that I have and the itching stopped, thank goodness.

I wear mainly cotton because of my formaldehyde allergy but apparently, they don't use it in the manufacture of viscose, so I wear viscose skirts sometimes too..

• Posted

Thanks Mrs Mop, I'll look up Prednisolone.  The link hasn't been moderated yet, but to be honest, with the risks I've read about with prolongned qt interval I'm glad to be off the hydroxyzine, rather itch than be dead!

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, the Prednisolone is a steroid and they might not think it is appropriate for you but a 'potent' or 'very potent' steroid cream might help 

Look at Dermovate and Betamethasone Valerate creams

They helped me all those years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.