Itching driving me mad

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, had yet another Gallbladder attack last night which I was able to manage at home using zapain and ibuprofen, luckily the severe pain only lasted around 30 mins, but I have been so itchy ever since, I had the same after my last severe attack and just assumed it was a side effect of the morphine that the hospital administered on that occasion, but I never had morphine last night so can't be that. Does anybody else suffer from this following an attack? Any body know what causes it and how I can help relieve it, it really is driving me mad x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I get itching and it drives me mad. I havent found anything that relieves it. Sometimes it is like my skin is crawling. It tends to resolve on its own until it starts again. I was told to stay away from ibuprofen. The only thing I've been told to take is Buscopan. That helps loads with the cramps.
    • Posted

Hi lisa, I take buscspan daily, only took the ibuprofen as I was mid attack and the only pain killers I had to hand, to be fair they really did help with the pain, although I know they are not ideal to take with tummy issues.

The itching really is driving me mad, I was scratching that much on Saturday that I actually drew blood on my legs, still have no idea what causes it though but hope along with other symptoms it will go after surgery x

• Posted

I too, hope the itching goes with the surgery. It drives me mad. Did they do your LFT's? Mine have never resolved since I had cholecystitis 7 months ago. I wonder if that is the cause? I get surgery on the 19th of this month and it can't come quick enough.
    • Posted

Hi lisa

Spoke to my GP today, had called him to sort out more pain relief without visiting the surgery, I mentioned the itching and he has told me to go in and see him as he is concerned the itching may be a sign of a blockage, can't get an appointment until Friday morning so will monitor it until then x

• Posted

I've had the itching on and off for 7 months and they haven't cared a hoot. I had repeat bloods and was re-refered by my GP to speed up the surgery waiting time to no avail. It's like once on the list, they don't care. I had to move hospitals to speed things up. It's been an absolute farce. I think the wait is actually inhumane. I get so angry thinking about it. I keep very active to keep my mind off it. I've got a date so that's something. How about you?
    • Posted

Hi lisa, yes your right it is inhumane the way we are left to suffer, to be fair my GP is good and can't do enough for me, it's the hospital I find unhelpful. Just been to pick my prescription up of my Gp and he had my blood forms waitung to save me going in to see him on Friday. No date as of yet, was told a 4 to 5 month wait back in January so hopefully not too much longer, when is yours scheduled for? X
    • Posted

Yes, my GP has been great. He told me the hospital were passing the buck when they told me he could expedite my surgery. He did however get a blood test and when the results showed raised LFT's he re-refered me to try and get things sped up. The hospital just shrugged their shoulders and told me, tough, I could keep waiting. Also when the clinical commissioning group found me another hospital who could see me quicker, my GP refered me to the hospital without seeing me and got me an outpatient appointed quickly. Can't fault him. The original hospital cancelled all day case for all of Jan and at least half of Feb. They told me in March that they were only just treating people who breached 18 weeks back in October. It's a disgrace! I'm scheduled for the 19th of may now. I've been waiting since the beginning of October. I had outpatients at the other hospital on 6th April so their referal to treatment time is very quick. One piece of advice, if your hospital won't give you a date, try and find a smaller hospital with no A+E. I didn't get the option of choose and book because I was an inpatient. I wished I cut and ran back in January. I would have had the opportunity by now.
    • Posted

Glad you finally have a date, I remember talking to you a couple of months ago on here about all the trouble you were having getting a date, I have ended up in A&E on a number of occasions with severe attacks and needed morphine for the pain, all they say there is go home and wait. I will start making noise soon if I don't get a date through as I'm now 16 weeks from referral x
    • Posted

I would start making noise now. I did. It didn't immediately get results but I recommend you speak to the local clinical commissioning group. It's their responsibility. My local CCG had no idea how bad things were here. Since I kicked up a stink the CCG ordered the other hospital to pull their fingers out. They actually rang me to offer me a date but I refused because if they cancelled I'd be back to square one. I didn't much feel like I wanted to be treated by them after all the hassle I had anyway. It was only a couple more weeks wait. Months ago I would have jumped at the chance to shorten the wait but I lost faith in the hospital. I wouldn't want to be treated there again if I can help it.
  • Posted

Hi i have found taking piritone or any other antihistamine a help with the itching

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.