Items I need for post THR (raised toilet seat, crutches etc): does the hospital provide them or do t

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, my LTHR is fast approaching and I've done no preparation at all! Can You clarify one or two things please.

Does the hospital provide the post THR surfer items to be used imputing the recovery period, or is it my responsibility to buy these items myself? What items does the hospital provide, and what are the essential items that I need to buy myself? The heavier items that the hospital provides, do they send them to me before the operation or do I take everything with me when I leave the hospital post operation?

Thx, Harry

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Harry

I had a toilet seat delivered and a grabber.  The hospital provided me with a commode because we have stairs to the toilet. The crutches were given by the hospital when I was discharges.

i can't think of anything else I have but don't worry you will be supplied with all your needs.

Brenda X 

• Posted

Dear Brenda, Cels, Renee, Sue, Suzie and Captain

Thank you sooooooo very much for the invaluable information and advice you gave me on what I need and how to go about getting what I need, plus all other essential information that I would need before my LTHR. I have made a careful note of what you all have said and will be calling th PT later today. I will also Google suppliers of all the items you mentioned.

This is a FANTASTIC forum, fantastic, helpful members.. No other words for it. Thanks again, Harry

• Posted

Hi Harry,

It varies from hospital to hospital.  All mine offered me was a toilet raiser (which I already had) and the crutches I walked out with.  They would have given me chair  and bed raisers too but I didnt need them.  They told me to buy a long handled shoe horn, a sock putter-onner and a grabber.

I was asked to take the shoe horn and the sock thing in with me because I had to demostrate to the o/t that I could dress myself before she would discharge me.

It might be worth ringing your occupational therapy department, they are the ones who deal with equipment.

Cels x

• Posted

hi harry, 

I am wondering if hospital or surgeon's office has not provided you with any information ... When is your date of surgery ?

I understand that your home also might be assessed, height of your bed, chair, etc. by Occupational therapist ... not sure though -

I bought my grabbers (you will need at least 2, and please get one expensive one - nothing so frustrationg as a cheap one that doesn't grabrolleyes), sock-aid  (I live alone) - I bought my own 4 wheeled walker - Special store rented out toilet seat raiser, crutches, shower chair and other things -

Please refer to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147, scroll down to Laymans Guide, created by our dear fellow member Graham, aka Rocketman -

You will find the best tips and advise there ---

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi depends on the hospital. I live in Leeds and had my operation at the Spire which is a private hospital. It was funded by the NHS.

At pre op assessment I was asked by my physio to measure the height of my chairs and bed to see if they were of suitable height. I was not offered any help towards bed raisers etc.

My bed was fine but bought a new comfier mattress. My settee was too low so I bought a 2nd hand high raised back chair like you see in hospital.

After my op I was sent home with a grabber a long shoe horn sticks and a raised toilet seat.

I bought some extra grabbers so if one fell on the floor and believe me they do I could pick it up.

I also bought a step to help me get into the shower which is over the bath. I am still using that 6 weeks later.

A cup with a lid and handle is useful abit like a car travel mug as if you are on sticks you won't be able to carry a cup . I put it in my dressing gown pocket.

You will need extra pillows a v shaped one is useful.

I also moved around a few items to be easily reached as you won't be able to bend down such as clothes phone chargers books and rearranged the kitchen.

Hope this helps

All the best.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Sue

I am interested in your comment about a step to get into the shower over the bath.

That is one of my worries as my shower is over the bath too, and I was under the impression that climbing into a bath would be a no no.

I have been trying to get my head around use of a bath board but that does not appear to work with my bath.The fixed shower screen leaves too little space to fully extend the legs.

Is it ok to climb in and out of the bath after THR? 

Sorry to be so dense, the more I try to plan and prepare the more confused I become.

I am very scared of breaking the 90 degree rule.

Also trying to work out how to measure height of loo/bed/chair etc. in relation to my own leg measurements.

I so want to be prepared and not leave it till the last minute. It seems that all my furniture is unsuitable.Armless unit furniture.Also a swivel recliner which is quite soft and squashy and needs force of both legs to close.

Many thanks for your helpful comments.

I hope you are making good progress.

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Joy,

I get in without a step although it's whatever feels safe for you.  I stand next to the bath, sideways on with a crutch for balance and step into the bath with my good leg.  Then, bending your operated leg behind you and supported by the crutch you can 'swing' your operated leg in.  There's a video on youtube that showed me how to do it.  You really need a grab bar on the far side of the bath to steady yourself.  I didn't attempt this until about 3 weeks post op.

When you measure your furniture make sure you do it whilst it's compressed, ie, sit on the bed/chair and measure from the floor with a steel rule.  I took these measurements to my o/t appontment and she measured my leg. 

It might be worth keeping your eye out for a second hand chair of the right height with arms.  You'll need the arms to push yourself up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cels x

• Posted

Hi Joy

My shower is over the bath and for th first week I strip washed. After the week my husband followed me upstairs and watched while I sat on the side of the bath lifted my operated leg and laid it on the bath side(I only have short legs haha).  Then I gradually lowered it in the bath, hold onto something while you lift the other leg over. Once both legs are in shower but take care, a anti-slip mat is useful.

I also have a swivel recliner and they told me not to use it because it rocks. I found it comfortable but getting up was awkward I mastered it but like you were saying I couldn't push the bottom in at first but now I'm 14 weeks post op I manage it.  

Its all all trial an error but you will know what you can and can't do.  I wish you luck for the future.

Brenda x

• Posted

Hi Joy my surgeon said it was ok to climb over the bath using a step as it's difficult to lift the operated leg up. You should move your non operated leg 1st then your operated leg is lifted behind you. I did not attempt this for the 1st week and then i got my partner to help initially. I held onto the wall but you could get a rail put up. Ive seen some grabbers which you can fix to the wall. The step stool is just a plastic non slip one. The kind toddlers use for getting to the sink to brush their teeth. I have a shower curtain not a screen but I did manage to wrap my leg around it getting out of the shower bringing the whole rail and curtain down. Luckily I didn't fall but it shook me up so I always push it back now. Also you need to put the shower on before you get in as you won't be able to bend to reach the taps. I keep my grabber close by as I'm always dropping things such as shampoo etc. I've learnt to adjust the taps now using the grabber.

Practice before your operation remember your leg will feel heavy and hard to lift at 1st.

I bought a 2nd hand chair for downstairs which I am still using 7 weeks later. My surgeon has 12 week restrictions in place around the 90% rule. It's kinda comfy but I do look forward to sitting on my settee again. I bought a price of foam to use on the settee to make it higher but was unable to use it as I couldn't push myself up after the operation. Armchairs are good for this as you can use both arms to push up.

All the best. Keep us posted.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Brenda

Thank you so much, all tips based on personal experience are the most helpful.

I have looked up a range of aids online but which to buy and in what size is very confusing.

I am about to attend my first ortho. appointment  on 9th May.

Suddenly it all seems terrifyingly close, and I want to be suitably prepared well in advance.

Advice seems to be to obtain and try aids out beforehand,a good idea if only you know which ones are needed.

I am still bothered about how to measure myself to check height of loo/bed/etc.

It is a comfort to find answers here on the forum from others who understand the anxiety from personal experience and take the trouble to answer every worry.

Best wishes for your own ongoing recovery.

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Sue

Thank you for your very helpful and clear answer to my worries.

Obviously a bath board is not the answer.

I have a perfectly adequate step and intend to fit grab bars. I bought one at B&Q and need to get it fitted,but now I think a second one would be a good idea.

Luckily my shower is operated from a press switch on the wall and I have a wall mounted rack for shampoo etc.

As my sofa comprises armless units it is not suitable so looked around for hospital type armchair.These are an outrageous price for temporary use and anyway the vexed question of seat height needs to be considered.I hope to find a suitable second hand chair with arms once I know the seat height I need.

Personal experience is so helpful and from fellow hip sufferers who understand the anxieties.

Good luck with your own ongoing recovery

Best wishes

Joyx

• Posted

Harry, if you are in England I think it varies for every hospital.  My hospital ordered (at my pre-op) the toilet seat frame it got delivered a couple of weeks before op, I had already got crutches from my pre-op physio - long story - but got 2 more from my op hospital, which is really handy, I left one at bottom of stairs and one at top, so I didn't need my hubby running up and downstairs when I wanted to go to the loo which was every 1 and half hours few days.  They also gave me a good quality grabber, I had already purchased 2, one of which was a folding one which had rubber suckers on the end - but not very strong - but handy for getting stuff out of the fridge, I have one upstairs, living room and kitchen.  I also bought a step for getting in the car (it's a Rav so fairly high), I had got a long handled shoe horn already which I use all the time. I think I spent about £25 altogether and worth every penny.  I did put a plastic bag on the car seat to allow me to move more easily.But do look at Rocketmans website as this helped me loads. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

morning.. they pt group came in and asked me / offered home items ( I am sure I paid well for them) i might need.. socks are a bear - get the tool that helps put them on. We called the local senior center and they borrowed me a walker, and a seat to put in the shower.. ( getting in the tub is a bugger too for a while.. I did buy the raised toilet seat from CVS. too personnel to borrow.. great luck to you..
  • Posted

One thing I wish I had was another grabber to pick up my grabber when I dropped it.

I ended up fastening it to my walker with a rubber band which kept it accessible.

When I was In the hospital I had to call the nurse several times to pick up my grabber for me.

• Posted

They do differ from each hospital. I got a toilet raiser, but no frame so I couldn't use it, nothing to help sitting and getting up, so bought the frame myself. Also got a commode, a perch stool, so I could sit while washing myself (not allowed in the shower as it was over the bath,)

I bought two grabbers, the cheap fold up one, not very good, and a better one for getting dressed with, that one has a shoe horn on it, which is easier than the long handled shoe horn I have downstairs.

A sock puller, a cushion, to make my chair higher. A long handled back scrubber, ideal for doing you legs.I also got a bed ladder as I couldn't get myself up from flat on my back, don't use it now though. I got my walking sticks before I left hospital (hospital provided)

The occupational health brought my things out before the op.

Whatever you get, practice with it first.

Lynn xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.