ive been prescribed gabapentin and it makes me twitch when its wearing off

Posted , 9 users are following.

About two weeks ago my doctor prescribed me gabapentin for my nerve pain. Its 100mg and i take 3 capsules three times a day. Among many other side effects such as me feeling out of it or loopy, o begin to twitch sometimes when its around the time for my next dose. I feel dizzy and sometimes am barely able to walk straight, sort of the same effect alcohol has. But my doctor said that is normal when first prescribed, after time it will go away so i dont have much worry about that. I want to know if its normal to have the twitching while taking gabapentin. Does anyone else have this effect when taking it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I get this sensation as it is wearing off i take 100mg 3 times per day,if i go an hour or two over my pill due time i get twitchy and slight shakes it never used happen before so must be the meds but this med also does the job for my nerve pain even at such a small dosage
  • Posted

If this is all you are experiencing consider yourself forntunate! Yes, body twitches among other horrific side effects occur. I was prescribed 4/7/16, 100 mg 3x daily. Cld only manage 200 mg. Now weaning off, down to 50 mgs every other day. Will never take again. My doctor also told me side effects will wear off...didn't, only got worse.
  • Posted

I am on 1200 mg broken up through the day and noticed I have hand tremors which make it oh so fun to type and some twitching in my arms and legs. I actually just accidentally kicked my dog when my foot twitched... I don't see a pattern in this issue yet.

Glad it's not just me having these challenges... I get a little brain foggy occasionally as well...

• Posted

Whew! Ok so my twitching is related to the gabapentin I'm taking and I'm NOT in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. Cool, thanks

• Posted

Since your doctor told you the twitching would go away, I’m wondering if it did?

Mine didn’t subside after stopping after only taking two consecutive 300 mg doses.  I have a permanent uncontrollable movement disorder. My neck jerking bothers me the most, even though I have a few seconds delay between jerks .

I also won’t ever be able to have dental work again because of the constant teeth chattering. 

It isn’t advised to ever suddenly stop taking Gabapentin, since it should be tapered. I had to stop immediately because of my adverse reaction. 

• Posted

I was wondering how you were feeling and if your conditon has lessned? My doctor prescribed me 1 dose of Gapapentin 100mg for Fibro and I had to stop taking it due to the increased body tingling and worst pain then i was in before. After being off of it for 48 hrs my period starts and i experience horrible pains in my upper and lower stomach (the pain felt like i was going into labor) for six hours straight, then it finally stopped and then the pain started to worsen in my back, butt, legs, knees and arms! Its crazy!! I took one dose and this happens! I really hope it goes away but i doubt it! 
    • Posted

That’s sad that only one 100 mg dose of Gabapentin has made you feel much worse. Hopefully you will recover, but I know I won’t. 

After 4 brain MRIs that  show I have a 6 mm round hypothalamic mass, they claim it’s not symptomatic. Doctors used to think that the hypothalamus gland was only part of the endocrine system, but more recent studies show it’s also connected to the nervous system. 

I found a doctor who explained by using illustrations on his YouTube video what takes place in the “Motor Circuit of the Basal Ganglia:  Functional vs. Dysfunctional.”  The STN, or subthalamic nucleus is part of it, but doctors claim I have a Functional Movement Disorder. If it was functioning properly, I wouldn’t have many jerky movements, or myoclonus. 

Sorry for the long explanation but when a patient blames an RX drug, they will probably never receive validation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.