ive had MD for over 10 years but the last 2 have been the worst.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Silverstein micro wick surgery in my left ear last March in hopes of controlling vertigo attacks which were occurring 1 to 2 a week. The surgery ruined my life. The use of Gentamicin resulted in permanent vestibular imbalance and did nothing for vertigo. It also somehow messed up my system to where the only medication I can take is 3mg of Ativan and Phenegram suppositories cause the pills don't work. Every other medication greatly exhaserbates my symptoms. The doctors have no clue how to "fix" this. Then another doc told me that I have a bubble of fluid in my brain which is the root of vertigo and that there is no medicine or surgery to help. I am now permanently disabled. I am clueless as to what the bubble of fluid is and how u got it. Since I no longer have insurance I can't go back to doc for help. No other doctor in San Antonio seems to know about it. Then, I developed hyperosmia (high sensitivity to smell) for which I get chronic nausea. Zofran doesn't work and Phenegram suppositories only work for 6 months then I have to have a 3 month break before I can restart. Of anyone has any information that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I feel so hopeless.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can we be more specific about the "bubble of fluid"? What did the MRI report state?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

CT of the Temporal Bones findings: There is incidental soft tissue or fluid with a "bubbly" appearance in the left sphenoud sinus. The IAC is normal. The MRI is normal.

• Posted

Therefore, the bubble is not in the brain but in the sphenoid sinuses.  It appears that they have concluded that your symptoms are a result of a sinusitis, or sinus-related problem.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Dear Carmen,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're doing so poorly.  It sounds like you have a bundle of problems, and it must be horrible to feel so much nausea all the time. 

I'm not familiar with the procedure that you had, or with this issue of a bubble, but what I do have expertise in, is failing with anti-nausea medication!  But my doctor finally prescribed something that worked better than any of the drugs they use for chemo patients, and any suppositories:  It's called Glycopyrrolate.  It's an old drug, and they used to give it to pregnant women with severe momorning sickness.  For some reason, it works extremely well for me, where all another anti-nausea medications have failed.  Perhaps that's something to ask your physician for, next time you see him.  

I can hear how hopeless you sound, and I'm so sorry.  I wish I could be of more help.  In terms of health insurance: As you are now on permanent disability, I would think you would be covered by Medicare? 

Take good care.  I sincerely hope you're able to find some help.  That's no way to live.

J-

• Posted

Thank you for your help. I see doc at the end of the month so see what he says. I'm actually considering a nose cauterization - done for people that have severe nose bleeds but it kills your sense of smell (not taste) cuz I'm so desperate. As for disability, in Texas there's a 2year waiting period before u get Medicare and I don't qualify for Medicaid. See how it goes. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.