Ive had Tinnitus for 5 Days now..struggling with the logic of it...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am reaching out.  I am relativeley healthy, 29 years old about 5'9 215, but I have a decent frame.  Reason why I say this is I had just gone back to the gym for the first time in several months, and pushed myself, but not overly so.  At the end of the work out, I tried to wind down, stretch etc...  As I went to the showers I was definitely a little light headed and I went down to pick something up and the Tinnitus started in my left ear.  It is a high pitched frequency.  I never really expose myself to loud noises which is very common with tinnitus.  I went to an ENT and had the audio test.  My hearing loss is slightly down in the high frequency sounds which makes sense because those sounds have to be heard across the constant high frequency ringing in that ear.  I was put on the steroid taper down medication for 12 days, im midway through and no difference.  Problem I am having is there is some mention (Little if any) about tinnitus with exercise, but mostly it is a secondary result of some exposure to loud noise or music etc..  I just want to see if anyone has had a similar experience, and if it has resolved itself by itself.  Im really bumming about it, and trying not to think about it.  But I am 29, I want to continue to exercise and get healthier and lead a normal lifestyle but I do not want to risk any further damage.  I think it was blood pressure related where something on the lines of a blood vessel inside the ear that may have swelled or burst even though I dont remember feeling any pain or popping.  From my little research it seems like the hair cells may have been damaged..the ENT I went to said there is no concrete proof or studies that say it can be related to blood pressure or exercise and says it could be a virus which would have happened eventually.  My gutt and common sense though do not agree with this.  If anyone has had any similar experience or has any advice It would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a medically qualified person but have had tinnitus on and off for more years than I can remember.  

At first I thought it was noise related when back in the 1980s I had a dot matrix printer in my office and this was before health and safety decided they needed sound proofing covers.  My doctor dismissed this as the cause and as I had no obvious ear infection told me to go away.

It was your mention of going "back to the gym for the first time in several months, and pushed myself" that caught my attention.

Down through the years I've learned that tinnitus is a symptom of Vitamin B12 Deficiency and vigorous exercise "uses up" B12.

I've had Pernicious Anaemia for 45 years and have had to have injections of B12 every month and I've noticed that in the run up to the next injection my tinnitus sometimes comes back.

Vitamin B12 can only be obtained naturally from food - Red meats, fish, shellfish, poultry, eggs, and dairy produce although some cereals are now being fortified.  

Does your diet include these, which need to be eaten together with green leafy vegetables such as broccoli & sprouts etc for folate to help process the B12?

You could ask your doctor to do a serum B12 and folate test to check youir level which, if they are low, would mean having a course of injections.

I wish you well

• Posted

There are so many teasons why tinnitis can happen it'd be a pity to stop gym. Do you clench your jaw? Have you tried gingko? Have you tried massaging face/jaw/ears and the jaw right under the ears? Might help!

• Posted

clivealive and mary I want to start by thanking you for taking the time to read and respond.  To touch base, when this had happened I was blood work drawn up, and aside from a little bit of a Vitamin D deficiency, everything else was pretty much normal including my VItamin B lvls.

Mary, something odd did happen when I was doing a bench press set.  A muscle underneath my chin on the right side pulled where I thought it was going to lock into place or something, at which point I stopped relaxed myself, and did not happen again for the remaining workout.  The ringing is on the Left ear so I do not know if it is related.  I am still accounting my Tinnitus as related to what I was doing at the gym, but I have yet to have anyone confrim similar experiences, most people mention it is noise induced, which makes my case a little odd...

• Posted

I started having on and off mild tinnitis since I got braces on my teeth when I was a teen. Since last year my tinnitis is constant and very hard to live with. Dr's blame an inner ear infection. I have a habit of jaw clencing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.