Ivrabradine and side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I am a 58 year old man (heart attack 3 years ago) and i to am on 2.5 bisoprolol and have none of these symptoms whatsoever lucky me.However i am also on ivrabradine and have been for 12 months which i have just stopped taking 3 days ago due to real nasty side effects which are exactly the same symptoms as a panic attack.I have never had a panick attack in my life before but 2 weeks ago after a walk which i normally breeze through suddenely out of the blue felt absolutely terrible,tight chest dizzy headache nausea and felt like i was going to drop dead there and then it was that bad.30 minutes or so later i was back to myself as though nothing had happened,after a researching the symptoms i had i thought it was a panick attack until i read the possible side effects from ivrabradine and they were virtually exactly the same,these attacks then continued for 4/5 days not as bad as the first but still bad enough.When my stents were being fitted the surgeon said to me how long have you suffered with angina and i said to him thats news to me didnt know i had it as i had never had any chest pain in my life apart from the odd chest infection which would dissapear after anti biotics well he said you have angina.To cut a long story short after 2 years i still didnt know what angina was as i had no chest pains.Then i went for my 6 monthly check up with my cardioligist and he did the usual checks took my pulse listened to my chest blah blah and he said your pulse is a little quicker than i would like it to be and he stuck me on the ivrabradine,after approx 2 months of taking ivrabradine i started to feel tightening of the chest which lasted around 5 mins or so which i then thought was the angina and thought nothing about side effects of any of the medication i was on.It is only early days since i stopped taking ivrabradine but i feel so much better and optomistic, these horrible attacks have started to subside,i am so sorry to change the subject relating to bisoprolol but if this post can help anyone who is suffering anything similar whilst on ivrabradine please think about an alternative beta blocker,my beats per minute at rest can be down to as low as 48 bpm without beta blockers and 70 bpm whilst walking around,in hindsight i wish i had told my cardioligist that 10 minutes prior to my appoitment with him i had just walked up a steep hill on my way to see him.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frank,  The syptoms you discribe are the same as angina. Angina usually comes on when you are doing something strenuous. If it is coming on when you are resting, then it is more serious.

Did you have pain when you had your heart attack?

Vicky

• Posted

Hi Vicky

Yes but it was only a twinge in my breast bone right in the centre of it.This came on and off for 3 days prior and would only last 2 mins or so and then completely dissapear and then on the 3rd day it got worse and then my left arm started to go limpish and i knew then what was happening,i dont have any dicomfort in the chest when resting.

Frank

• Posted

If you don't get pains during rest time, then your angina is stable. But if you get any kind of discomfort or twinge or if you feel even the tiniest bit breathy, this could be angina and you would need a stress test and maybe an angiogram to see if there is a problem and catch it early.
    • Posted

Yes I have been to see my cardiologist and that test is already booked due to find out when very soon
    • Posted

Stress tests can produce false positives. I've had two negative angiograms because of that.
    • Posted

One time (in 1993) they diagnosed angina as they said that my heart was not getting enough oxygen during an ECG. Later they said that we can see from your subsequent energetic lifestyle that it is not the case!  

In 2001 and 2011 the stress tests ( one a stress ECG and the other a stress echocardiogram)  indicated partially blocked arteries that the amgiograms showed not to be the case.

One time I offered to bet the cardiologist a months salary that he was wrong. Pity that he would not take the bet.

Good luck with your test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.