Joint pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

I have been on azathioprine and pentasa for the past two years. Recently I have been waking ho with a very painful neck and my elbows hurt a lot, my knees seem to hurt a bit during the day. Is this the joint pain that I should have been expecting at some point?

What do I need to do about it?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Joint pain is a well documented side effect of mesalazine and if you look up this drug on netdoctor it says that there may be an increased risk of side effects if mesalazine is used in combination with azathioprine (or mercaptopurine). I've been taking 4g pd mesalazine for a year (with Prednisolone when required) since being diagnosed with UC and also experience joint pain. When I mention it to my GI consultant he doesn't seem bothered by it. He is however concerened that the steroids are becoming less effective at controlling flares and wants to switch me to azathiprione. Although I hate the withdrawal period of steroids I'm also concerned about the side effects of azathioprine. Have you also taken steriods? What's your experience of those v azathioprine?

• Posted

I have been on mesalazine for 2 and a half years. The first year i was on prednisolone almost all the time as every time I decreased the dose the flare came back. So I have been put on azathioptine after that. And since then I had one major flare up.

Azathioprine seems to be working for me at the moment. However I find myself catching a cold a lot of the time due to it being an immunosuppressant. A blood test is required every 2 weeks when it's first used and then every 2 months after a while as it can affect the bone marrow and blood cell count. MY dose has been manipulated lots because of the decrease of white blood cells. It does have a lot of side effects but Id rather be on this than steroids. With steroids I have gained 10kg of weight, and was very very depressed to the point I didn't leave my house apart from going to university. I think the depression is a major side effect of the steroids but also the illness itself.

What do you mean about the withdrawal period of steroids? What do you experience?

• Posted

I suspect I am suffering from adrenal issues as I taper of the steroids: disturbed sleep and eating patterns, food cravings, feeling anxious and stressed, pins and needles in hands and feet, urinating a lot, dizziness, back and joint pain. I’ve gained weight too as a result of the steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.