Jones Fracture- advice needed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 21 years old in my senior season of basketball, 3 weeks ago I injured my foot. I now know it is referred to as a Jones Fracture. It being my last season, I am really trying to come back for the season. It's healing quite well and I can currently put 25% weight in my air cast while still on crutches. I'm really trying to stay positive! So any words of advice would be nice! My season ends mid February, any chance I'll make it back???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I think it will be nearly impossible to be healed and ready to play for mid February.

Bones take time to heal and the risk of non union with Jones fracture is kind of high.

Give your bone times to heal, Dont go to fast. you could slow down your healing process or reinjure yourself.

Everyone heals differently and at different speeds. I have seen some horror stories here.

I can just talk from my own experience.

I am 23.

I broke my fifth metatarsus on the 30th May, was put in a hard cast with no weight bearing for 6 weeks. I got my cast removed on the 13th July. God knows I was relieved when the orthopedic surgeon said that my bone healed well. I was worried about non-union.

I walked with the help of crushes for at least 3 weeks with physical therapy twice a week.

It felt like I had to relearn how to walk, I had to rebuild muscle and strengthen my ankle ligaments.

By the end of August I slowly restarted to run, it didn't feel natural at first and the fear of reinjuring myself was always in my mind.

and I finally was able to go back to basketball practice around 10th September.

I am currently running 20km per weeks and I am pain free.

I wish you a speedy recovery !

• Posted

Thanks for your story! I guess I've been in denial and your story really helped!

• Posted

Hi Gabrielle,

I agree with everything Kasiaxpma had to say.  The important thing is to follow your doctors advise.  Healing simply takes longer than we want it to take.  I am 70 and my first broken bone was a Jones fracture 2/25/16.  I was put into a NWB hard cast for 4 weeks with a knee scooter (fun) followed with a high boot (day and night) for another 4 weeks walking during that time using a walker to gradually get to 100% of my weight on my foot.  I healed like a 25 year old. Haha and my doctor released me to PT.  I did have a bit of a limp from the boot 'vs' shoe difference in height and had to learn to walk normally again. Following 6 weeks of PT and doing ALL of the exercises especially to strengthen my twisted ankle I was released and started a simple senior exercise classes (seated).  I was not to do any jumping on my broken foot.  I was afraid to do any exercises that required either sidway motion like a "grapevine" or any pivoting (not political) on the ball of my foot. Eventually I was able to return to my step aerobic classes and currently go to 4 hour classes a week including advanced multi-step.  I am also pain free but I'm still very careful and worry about stumbling in class.  I don't have the stamina that I did at 69 but I'm working on it!  You are young and healthy and will heal just fine if you don't rush it.  You have many many more basketball seasons in your future.  Good thought coming your way.  Hugs,  Devs Mom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.