Jones Fracture on left foot

Posted , 4 users are following.

On 11/26/15, I suffered a Jones Fracture. I walked on it thinking it was a sprain or strain for about 4 days. I went to the doctor on that following monday 11/30/15. They saw the fracture that luckily didn't go all the way through. Got my air cam boot and crutches and sent me off. Two days later I meet with the Orthopedic surgeon to talk about treatment. I thought about it for a couple days and ended up scheduling surgery. My appt. Is 12/15/15. I can't afford a non union and even if it does unite, it takes way too long to heal relative to the surgery route. I'm not rich I have to work! So surgery gets me back to work faster. Anyway, I just want any post-op tips to make my life easier until I can beat weight. Any good books? Exercises? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am in the same boat, already 10 weeks but the doctor took conservative approach.

I feel that I should took the surgery route, for what I read it's much easier the recovery and no rate of refracture

• Posted

I'm able to start wearing shoes! ! Im so happy! ! I still have a bit of recovering to do but now I'm walking without out any supports. I do get a cane in the next day or two though just do help me out. I'm building up my walking distance. My foot does get tired though, also my Achilles doesn't have all iTS ROM back yet. How are you now?
    • Posted

Great news! Just take very easy, canes are always good for support.

I am walking without crutches but still with the air calm boot, doing lots of exercises to regain the loose muscle in my calf hopefully in 3-4 weeks I can walk in regular shoes just like you 😊

• Posted

Are you full healed? My bone is about 70% without surgery. My doctor has taken off my fibre glass cast and I'm allowed to partial weight bare with crutches for 6 weeks and it should be fully healed by then! My foot feels very odd since having the cast, not much pain just mainly my ankle aching which is normal!
    • Posted

I find out in a week how much healed it is but that's great news! Don't worry the soreness in the foot will come. I've been weight bearing for three weeks I just started wearing shoes that could fit. The swelling is still there but it's minimal now. How long were you casted? My surgery recovery went like: Surgery-12/15/15, Soft cast and stitches off-12/30/15, Able to bear weight as tolerated-1/13/15, No crutches needed, 2/1/15. My PT should start in a week. smile

• Posted

I have stopped using the cam boot because its more uncomfortable the more you walk on it IMO. My feet are getting use to walking. So it kinda sore all over but I still elevate my foot every night. ☺ I think we should have a Jones fracture club where all us cripples hangout, what do you think? Lol
    • Posted

I was casted for 6 weeks with NWB, then got it taken off on the 3rd Feb and doctor said its 70% healed which I suppose is good as I haven't had surgery! So on PWB for another 6 weeks and it should (hopefully) be fully healed then!
    • Posted

You are right jones fracture club!! Let's have a cup of coffe!!! 😊

My 5th met fracture its spiral from the neck down along the bone that looks like lighting bolt ⚡️ Happened in 10-28-15 and it's been 14 weeks, the Dr took the conservative approach but slowly but surely I am almost 65-70 % better. Walking with cane and boot, doing PT 3x week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.