Juggling work and depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering how others handle their work situation on the days when they physically and mentally can't even force themselves to go in?

Especially if you aren't open about your mental health problems at work.

For me usually I just power through it and struggle as best as I can, and I've done this for the last 3 years with varying levels of success. Today feels...different though, I'm thinking about work tomorrow and even the idea of going outside and putting myself through an entire 10 hour shift is so overwhelming it's almost laughable.

I've only been absent once during my 3 years at my current place of work, but we're so short staffed and 2 people are on holiday on top of that so me taking a few days off will be a massive inconvenience.

Plus I can't really shake off the guilt i'd feel about taking a day or two off. My job isn't exactly difficult so I feel like an idiot for not being able to cope, and right now I'm failing at even the simplest of tasks and I keep beating myself up over it.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

have you been the doctors about it
    • Posted

Yes, I'm currently attending weekly cbt sessions and I've had 3 so far, with next to no progress (which I understand as I never expected everything to be sorted in 3 sessions Haha)
  • Posted

I have a very understanding employer. I have been off since April and don't have a restart date yet. I having a meeting with them in 2 weeks, just drawn a master plan for when I am ready to go back. They fully understand the circumstances that I am going through. 

listening to debates on mental health it's the luck of the draw when it comes to down employers being cruel or kind. In theory the law is on the side of employee but there companies out who always find a way around it.  You'll find with some companies that you get more sympathy by having a broken leg...that makes me mad.

• Posted

Hello:

Yep - work can be difficult.    Especially trying to juggle meds and sleep and proper social norms.  Haha.

My schedule is unpredictable.  So my sleep is often scattered.  And I try to time my meds so I won't become too sleepy or too hyper at work.  

And it is tricky.  

I am trying to find a way to work from home.  

We'll see.

Best to you,

Chip

• Posted

Hi there. Here's a suggestion that may help even a little. Tony Robbins is one of the most top coaches in America, if not the world. You may want to listen to his talks on depression on the internet. I wish you the very best, and remember nothing lasts forever...winter is always followed by spring and summer!

• Posted

Hi,

I remember this only too well. Day by day is the answer and here's how I used to face it. Break it down. First just concentrate on getting up, ready and going into work. Then focus on making it to mid morning. Then try to get to lunctime and so on. Tell yourself that you can get up and leave at any time. There's no "have to" or "should do", you just do what you "choose to". It's all in your control. Good luck...  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.