Just back from my GP :(

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just back from my GP. Blood cortisol was taken almost 5 weeks ago and my levels were 1101. I was then referred to day medicine where I was given the 2 dexamethasone tablets to take at 11pm and get my bloods done at 9am next morning. That was yesterday and I am just back from my GP. The dexamethasone suppressed my cortisol to 53. So my GP reckons that my first cortisol test must have been a false test and that I don't have excess cortisol. He thinks it is highly unlikely they will do any more tests as it was suppressed. I am at my wits end as I have all the symptoms, I've gained 3 stone in 2 years for absolutely no reason and he said the only 2 things he can think of to cause that are thyroid and Cushings. If I receive a letter from the hospital saying they are doing no further tests I have no idea what to do or where to turn sad

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is that the only tests you have had, have you done the 24 hour urine or saliva test yet, what is meant to happen with the dexa test is your cortisol meant to go higher ?
    • Posted

Hey!

Yes the only tests I've had. No urine or saliva test and from what my GP is indicating I won't be getting them. He says as the dexamethasone suppressed my cortisol it indicates I definitely don't have Cushings. I don't know how the fact my random cortisol level of 1101 can be ignored. So frustrated sad

Thanks

• Posted

my morning cortisol was 900 i have lots of symptoms gp didnt agree with me , after one year i have manage to get a endo referral i told him if you dont refer me i want a priate referral he had no option lol x 
    • Posted

Did you have the suppression test? Did it work on you? Thanks x
    • Posted

my gp didnt do that either, i said to him you need many tests to rule out cushings saliva etc, he said we cant do that here i said well i need referred to get all the proper tests carried out , he had no option but to refer me , i have sent you a private email on here .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.