Just be diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, don't know what to expect;(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everybody,

After a flexible sigmoidoscopy, I was diagnosed with proctitis, which was found out to be ulcerative colitis. I am devestated.

I don't know what to expect, I can't get my head around having it for life and taking tablets every single day. I'm only 17 years old and I'm just scared about how this IBD is going to affect me in the future.

Can anybody give me some words of wisdom or wise advice, or even reassurance. I am just so worried.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Brooke.so sorry to hear that .i was devastated when they told me I had left sided u.c .you just have to plod on and put yourself in the doctors hands.it it does easier to manage as you go on and get on the right meds.you are not alone there seems to be more people getting this than ever .good luck and keep posting how you go on .babz xx
  • Posted

Hi Brooke,

It's terrible when you first find out you have UC, but really it's not so bad. I was diagnosed in 2003, and apart from the occasional flare ups about once a year, I can honestly say it's not been a major problem. Taking tablets every day is OK, it's just a matter of getting in the routine.

It's tough getting through the first stages of different tablets, enemas, etc, but once it's settled you'll be fine.

If I have any advise then I suppose it's tell the Doctors everything straight away, don't cover it up, also tell them if you are not happy with the meds they give you, and can't use them. 

Above all DON'T WORRY!

Chris Warr.

• Posted

Hello! 

I am really sorry to hear your news. I have been diagnosed at 18 ( this summer) and I know exactly how you feel. The trouble with me is that they are still looking for the right medication.

The tablet taking isnt too bad when you get into the routine its fine! smile All I can say is try not to let it take over your life, believe me, I know its hard. But dont isolate yourself and try and keep things as similar to your life before diagnosis as you can. Thats all I have learned so far from my experiences and mistakes. There are many people on this site who have had it for years and live happy fulfilling lives! 

My fingers are crossed for you! Best of luck!  Stay positive xx

• Posted

Hi Brooke

I too was newly diagnosed with proctitis this year started nov 2014, i totally understand about it been a worry, at first I was so upset, BUT even though they are still using meds to try to stop bleeding I am hopeful they will sort it eventually.  Diet does play a BIG part I have cut out almost all foods I used to enjoy, bread, cakes, fizzy drinks, chocky etc, BUT everyone is different same with meds etc, best advice, read what folk on here have to say, talk or read the Chron's uk site, find your IBD nurse at the hosp and if meds arn't working tell em.  Hope you feel better soon hugs RJ x

• Posted

Hi all, my son was treated at the local general hospital and they weren't great. The best consultants are at St Marks London and John Radcliffe Oxford. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.