Just coming off my first gout attack ... I think

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some background. I went to my podiatrist almost a month ago with a little large toe pain.  The day before I was using my foot to stabilize a pipe on the ground that i was cutting using a sawzall.  The toe was getting red and swollen but not much heat coming off it.  Podiatrist said it was gout and gave me a five day course of colchicine. A blood test the next day didn't confirm gout.  The colchicine along with 3 advil twice a day did take some of the edge off.  Pure tart cherry juic and lots of water were also prescribed.  At this point it was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced.  with all the juice and water I was hobbling to the bathroom practically in tears from the pain only to return to the bed where I held the footboard shaking. The pain and swelling didn't fully subside with the colchicine. About a 8-10 days after the attack I was able to see my internist.  He told me that the blood test wouldn't show gout since all the uric acid was in my toe at this point and the best time to check my blood would be when the attack is fully over.  He did however tell me that colchicine woudn't do the trick and he gave me a five day course of Indomethicin. Well, that was tremendous.  I started feeling a little better by the end of the next day.  However, some residual swelling and foot pain still existed. A few days after the meds were finished I calle my internist back with this information.  I am now almost done with my second course of Indomethicin and feeling great. Walking normally in normal shoes.  Its been about a monthlong battle.  I would like to think that my attack was a perfect storm of sorts.  The vibration from the sawing, possibly being dehydrated from the heatwave that had just ended, and the fact that I was eating hamburgers, hot dogs, and shrimp like a madman, and washing it all down with a beer a night.  Not sure how this will end, but I have definitely found a measure of comfort from the information that everyone has posted.  Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been there and I know the agony caused by gout. I felt really helpless when I couldn't walk and I have red, swollen joints. The single more effective relief for gout pain in joints is high potency Bromelain (GDU 2500 or more). I have drunk this with oolong tea ( which also helps), and can feel the pain subsiding. I'm not sure why many doctors don't recommend this - Dr. OZ.

• Posted

Then you should know that beer triggers gout attacks. Lay off the beer.
    • Posted

Good advice. Lay off the beer and lay on water - a couple of liters a day.
  • Posted

Hi Mitch

Yes, it was a perfect storm. Have the blood urate test done after you have no signs of gout. This will give an idea of how bad the problem is - gout isn't just an aching toe - it can produce tophi and kidney stones and more.

You can hope that the perfect storm will finish it, but you are odds on for another attack in under a year and probably 1/2 that. If that occurs or you have high bloodvurate you need to think about urate lowering therapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.