just diagnosed and quite worried

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have just been diagnosed and doc has me on betahistine but I haven't noticed any difference at all.  My head feels full - the tinnitus is constant and I am losing my balance all the time.  I have been pretty much stuck to my bed for the last 6 weeks since I went into hospital after a severe vertigo attack that lasted hours - room spinning etc.  I am quite depressed but I think that is worse cos I am not working at the moment - been off since this happened and I spent 6 days in hospital.  they thought I had had a bleed on the brain at first - blimey that was worrying!  I am missing my routine, I love my job and only work 3 days and hoping to go back a week on Tuesday and try to get back into a routine, but worried that maybe I shouldn't be driving? Although I have been ok driving and I have only had a few attacks of vertigo - it's the tinnitus and stumbling that are constant.  I read about many other symptoms that I didn't realise were attributed to meniere's that I also have. Does anybody else have blurred vision? At times the room looks kind of darker and hazy, smokey.  I also have a fast pulse that I have had for years and read that as a symptom!  I have a headache always in the same place - near left temple and my left ear is the worst, but I stumble to the right.  I read on somebody else's post that they sweat a lot - I had put that down to my vitamin D deficiency but still suffering even after taking quite high doses of vitamin D. Are there different medications that can help with all the symptoms? I get my words mixed up a lot lately too and get confused and forgetful - can these symptoms be from the menieres?

Thanks for any advice! x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you sandy67 u r describing me above. I am an audio typist but not sure if I should be doing that anymore with this problem. I am struggling to stop depression - so bored - want to work but would have big problems getting to and from let alone actually doing my job. The vision problems you are having are exactly like mine but it's not a constant thing with me, it comes and goes. I haven't actually been diagnosed yet so this forum is really enlightening me. This is a horrible thing to deal with every day - 9 weeks for me now - I was given one tip from physio (for other probs) to help me keep my balance which may help u - Don't move but slowly move your head in the direction you want to go - focus on an object in that direction and slowly move towards it. Takes a bit of practice but it does seem to reduce the amount of falls I have had. Hope it helps you. Keep your chin up x?

• Posted

thank you for your reply and so sorry it has taken me so long to reply back, I couldn't get access to this for some reason.  I do have a stick and only use it on days I feel my balance is bad but keep it in my car.  I find that nobody I work with understands that this is something that is going to be affecting me for a long time and they keep saying things like "what's with the stick", "why are you walking like that", as though they think that because I am back at work I am fine now! like I have said I do not want sympathy just a bit of understanding that some days I may be ok and other's not - sick of explaining when I have already explained - people don't listen, or forget easily.  someone wants me to take someone out with a wheelchair, meaning I will have to lift the wheelchair in and out of my boot! I don't know how I will be able to do that - I have a prolapsed disc in my spine and my back is bad already, even before this diagnosis I have been living with fibromyalgia and RA for many years, some days are good, others not so good, and others, as you will know, just bloody awful!  Hope you get yourself sorted too, thank you x

• Posted

And, if you haven't got them yet , a walking stick or wheeled tripod walker are invaluable. Have someone scour the charity shops for you I got both for £12 help me no end.

• Posted

That is the way it goes and had those experiences myself.  I had to really challenge myself to get up and keep going and yes the fullness and sweating!  Nearly two years on with a strict regime of walking, balance exercises, yoga and breathing exercises. they dont tell you what to expect and how to handle as its all relative to you.  But I had to try to do a little more than what I tried the previous day.  Its hard but I had  to capitalise on the times I felt ok and go for a walks.  or even up and down the stairs a few times.  Betahistines has been working for me. One thing I did experience was stiffness in my neck but lying down and stretching my hand up really does help me. The stress is a real nuisance but I cant say enough about the value of reducing. The hazy and smokey is an effect I certainly experienced.   i am wearing sunglases and a cap to keep the glare out. Lots of helpful hints on this site if you can bear to trawl through.
  • Posted

What dose and how long have you been on the medication? Betahistine takes time to work and the dose may need to be quite high. I have just had a minor recurrence having been free of symptoms for well over a year. On Consultant advice I am taking 48mg 3 times daily and may increase the dose further if necessary.

Have you had an MRI scan to screen for other causes? Acute attacks are not supposed to last more than 24 hrs. If it has not already happened you would probably be helped most by seeing a consultant Auralphysiologist.

Don't despair just yet - 70% of sufferers get better!

• Posted

so sorry for late reply I couldn't access this site.  I have not had mri yet as still not had an appointment for ent.  Been waiting a while now.  The dose of betahistine is 16mg x 3 daily.  I must say I am feeling a lot better but still having symptoms.  I am back at work but I think people think that cos I look ok, I am fine!  Mot looking for sympathy from them but a bit of understanding would be nice.  I use my stick some days and get "what's with the stick"!  I don't trust my balance and don't wanna end up falling and my job is going out a lot to visit people in their homes so I am having to be very careful.  I have terrible head sweats, despite the weather turning a lot colder, and my eyes are definitely more blurry.  Thanks again for reply x

• Posted

Sandy, good morning. Sorry you are having such a hard time. 

How many different doctors have you seen? One is not enough. Several might not be enough. Advice from my run around the doctors. Do not tell the next doctor you already have been diagnosed with Meniere's. I think if I had done that I would have had better luck. See a nurologist. Menirere's is hard to diagnose.

I had many of the symptoms that are the same as Meniere's.

I had frontal lobe seizures. Seizures can be controled. Menirere's is much more trouble as the medications are of limited help.

Keep trying. The noise will be less of a problem as time continues. Mine is constant but I have learned not to listen. 

Good luck.           Dan T.

• Posted

I have only seen my gp up to now, still waiting for ent appointment to come through!  the betahisting is working well most days - still have days where I feel something is in the middle of my head and it wakes me up some nights and buzzes really hard and makes me jump knckin things off my bedside table.  thank you for reply and sorry for replying so late, I could not get access on here x
  • Posted

Good morning Sandy, you aren't alone. As I said on here last night I am so glad I found this forum. It sounds like you are describing me except fortunately my spinning/vertigo is not main problem. What is driving me crazy is the pressure and constant loud noises (always bad ringing since last attack two weeks ago sounded like helicopter engines whirring inside my head). I understand about it affecting your job. Fortunately I was planning on retirement on August 1 which I did. But after reading your post and a previous post I now realize my blurry smoky vision is most likely from the Meniere's. I thought when I got my new glasses last year that the Rx was wrong but optician who made the glasses swore that it was the right one that the Opthomologist had written. Will mention to ENT next week on checkup. As far as driving I would be very careful as the vertigo stacks can come on without warning. I had a scare a couple of months ago and had to pull over quickly. Luckily I was on a city street lined with driveways. My husband was with me and thought I was crazy. I just blurted out "I need to stop". It was minor but I was woozy throughout dinner (we were heading out to eat). Oh and lastly definitely keep your sodium count low. I was religious at keeping it around 1600 or 1700 for the first week after last attack and it helped tremendously. Went off a little this weekend and ringing terribly again. I actually chart it so I will stay on track. Best of luck and hoping for relief soon.

• Posted

hi, sorry for replying so late and thank you for your reply.  I do find the blurry smoky vision really weird.  Back at work, but struggling some days and people just don't understand.  I said above I don't want any sympathy from them, just a bit of understanding on how things are effecting my day to day living.  I find it takes me ages to get up in the morning, I am just so so tired and nothing can wake me some days.  My daugher was begging me for a lift this morning cos she missed the bus to work, and I just couldn't even talk to her! she got a taxi I think! the kids are adults now but kstill very dependant on me and I still try to drive them around all the time, they are 22 and almost 20 and don't drive - it's so expensive and I am the only parent and oly work part time so it's not easy. thank you again and good luck to you too x

• Posted

Dear Sandy,

I'm so very sorry to hear that you're going through such a rough time.  It's all very scary at first.  I was diagnosed 14 months ago, and have experienced the gamut of symptoms.  I remember being so mixed up and addled, I thought I was getting Alzheimers!  But my ENT reassured me that many Meniere's patients experience "fog brain" as well as a lot of anxiety.  What's not to be anxious about?  You never know when the vertigo is going to hit next!  For me, I began to calm down when I got rescue meds that actually worked:  Meclazine, Glycopyrrolate, and Clonazepam.  That was the magic trio for me, and helped me to cope with the attacks until they finally abated after 9 inner ear injections with steroids.  Another thing that helped me early on was 12 sessions with a physical therapist who worked with me on vestibular rehab and balance retraining.  The exercises she taught me really helped to be less tippy between attacks, and the the vestibular rehab part helped to desensitize me a bit, to all of that weird wooziness I was always feeling.  For me, the Meniere's generated a lot of anxiety and depression.  It was life changing.  I'm only just now, 14 months later, beginning to come out of that, somewhat.  One thing I've experienced that I don't read much about, is my need for WAY more sleep that I used to need.  I need 10 hours of sleep in order to feel good.  It's like the Meniere's drained my resources, and somehow created a need for much more sleep!  In terms of symptoms, there is nothing that would surprise me. I think everyone's nervous system is a little different, and many of us experience odd variations of the core Meniere's symptoms. 

Again, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.  I hope you find some relief soon, and find yourself able to go back to work.  Be really gentle with yourself, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest.   Keep us updated on your progress!

J-

• Posted

Sorry for late reply - wow you have been through it too! I must ask about those medications and the therapist.  I am back at work and have been referred to occy health but not had a letter through yet, so maybe they can help while i am waiting for my ent appointment which hasn't even come through yet.  Yes, sleeping - can't believe I can sleep so much once I eventually get off.  I don't even know how I have managed to get into work for 10.00 a.m. its only 3 days a week but still almost kills me getting ready.  When I am not working I can stay in bed till midday and then have no energy to get through anything.  My poor dog doesn't get as many walks as she should and she loves her walks, in fact I do when I can push myself enough to get out.  I have fibromyalgia and early RA too which doesn't help. thanks again for reply and all the best to you x

• Posted

Hi Sandy67 - I only have the balance problem and that's enough. Poor you. I am NOT back at work yet as laid out by OH. I fail to see how we can be classed as 'capable to work' with this 'balance' problem.I would have said we were more of a liability. I get a lot of headaches with my problem too - and SO tired all the time. I sympathise re your dog but I cheated. I picked up a cheap mobility scooter and she took to walking beside me very well. It was suggested I rehome her but I cope most days and she is such good company. She can't walk at the moment- possible cruciate damage - but we still snuggle up and she's happy and that's all that matters at the moment. It may be worth you trying to claim PIP with all your problems. If you qualify you may have enough to pay a dog walker on your really bad days. Worth a thought? I get the 'stick' comments but I don't care. It's just made me more appreciative of others who have 'invisible' problems. Never judge a book etc I start Vestibular Rehab on 20th and hope they can help keep me more upright.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.