Just diagnosed. Confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

22 y/ o female. Last Monday I woke up with a fever and a bit of a sore throat. Dismissed it as a cold until last Friday i woke up and was barely able to breathe/swallow. Looked in my throat and couldn't even see past tonsils they were so swollen and pussy. I also had a red rash all over my body which my doctor informed me was scarlet fever. I was prescribed penicillin for ten days and over the weekend began to feel alot better. My throat feels next to normal again however my doctor told me this morning it looked extremely pussy. She suspects I have glandular and I will find out tomorrow morning for sure.

Reading up on the internet has made me extremely anxious. I've got a great job out of uni and have alot of upcoming work which could really make/ break my career. Until I know for sure I'm trying to remain positive but it sounds like from these stories glandular can wreak havoc on your body? Is there such thing as mild GF? Is it naive to think I can take a week off work and be better? I'm just really tired more than anything ATM. Most of the time I feel okay. I have a history of recurrent infections/ poor immune system

so am anxious my possible GF diagnosis could turn into a year saga. Just looking for a bit of reassurance at this point...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bronte,

Yes it is very possible to have mild glandular fever from experience the later you get it the worse it can be but don't fret. Do the correct thing now and you will stand a much better chance of a speedy recovery. Take that week off at least, go to bed get plenty of water, if you don't feel tired still go to bed take this week off stay positive and you'll make it through don't worry look at raw vegetable diet or paleo type diet for the next month at least this will keep your energy levels at equilibrium but do make sure you get that sleep.

Dan

• Posted

Hi Bronte,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell...just take it slowly don't jump ahead wait and see if it is glandular fever. And if it is, it isn't the end of the world, it's a virus that passes over, albeit a nasty one. The fact that the penicillin seemed to help you is a good sign because if it was glandular fever being a virus an antibiotic wouldn't have helped that.

However....try not to worry....any kind of virus can make you feel wiped out for a short time. Everyone is different with glandular fever it some people recovery very quickly, and you are young so there's every chance of that. Plus it may not be that at all so wait and see (hard as it is to have to wait)....let us know how you are doing and let me reassure you that you will be okay be it glandular fever or not glandular fever, so my no.1 instruction is just rest up for the meantime and don't worry!

Craig

• Posted

What were your results? Hope all is OK x Eden x
    • Posted

Also hoping that you are doing okay too Eden. I am thinking about you and want you to know that I still fully and totally believe in a full and marvellous recovery for you - so even if you don't feel great today don't worry, healthier and happier days will be ahead - you will get there with this without any doubt in my mind, you are young and have plenty to look forward to, lots of hope!

Take it easy and hang in there, I know it's not easy when going through this, so just rest if you can and allow your body time to recover.

Take care

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.