Just diagnosed with prostate cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

Today I got my prostate biopsy report . 3 of 12 cores positive, Gleason 3+3, 40%. 3+3, 8% and 3+4, 54%. My psa is 14.5. Dr. Recommended surgery. Is there anyone with similar numbers that can offer advice?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI had the robotic surgery 8 weeks ago for me the op was a breeze one night stay in hospital 2 weeks with a catherter 6 weeks with DVT stockings self injected 28 times easy, Now at the point i am nearlly dry, My PSA was 14 Gleason score 3x4 haveing the op was a no brainer for me after meeting the consultant surgeon who does nothing else but prostates boosted my confidence %100, If you go for it have no fear all the best and good luck.
  • Posted

One year on from surgery, was 3 3 pos open surgery the skill of the surgens hand, no regrets clear psa 0.07 which is the lowest reading. 95 % dry, only minor problem during exercise. so  DO IT if the indication are pos and the surgen can do it clean nerv sparing you should be fine,

65 and doing well better OUT than IN, unlike the political EU which is better IN than OUT;  GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi

Before you have surgery as to see an oncologist first , I had surgery (not very pleasant) and then found out that an oncologist would have waited before going for surgery straight away and that I may not have needed it, surgeons are " men of action ", those are the words of an oncologist, in recent years they have developed other treatments which may be better than surgery.I had surgery 10 years ago and its come back and I'm now having hormone treatment.

Good luck.

• Posted

What were you numbers? Psa, Gleason etc? Was yours contained to the prostate? If I can ask... Thanks for sharing.
    • Posted

Hi winn

My PSA 7.4 and it seemed that the cancer was contained within the prostate, however although the prostate is shaped like a walnut there is a little tail that is left behind when the organ. Is removed, I'm not too worried that the cancer has come back the hormone therapy has reduced the cancer from 6.8 to 0.6 and as I'm 68 the consultant feels I will probably die of old age before the cancer gets me!!!. Cancer survival rates are much better than even when I was first diagnaoed12 years ago. Good luck to you brother there is always a light at the end of the tunnel!!!☺

• Posted

Hi winn16126, I am 68 and diagnosed 2nd June and have opted for keyhole surgery which is less invasive (apparently) although I have to lose 3 stone before treatment because I carry excessive a little too much weight particularly around my waist. my Gleason is 7 (3+4) and PSA remains at 8.74 (below 10) MRI scan found 3 small spors although the biopsy 8 of 12 cores isolated and contained to the left hand side lobe of my prostate -  such the powers that be don't seem too anxious in the immediate term and I'm attempting to lose 3 stone before further consideration. As it stands bractotherepy (radio-therapy is an alternative option) - we'll see!!. They seem to take a slightly casual attitude and don't seem unduly concerned. It's when you have an exceptionally high count that they would show concern. You're OK so don't get overly anxious, ask for 'watch & wait' where they monitor any changes on a regularly basis...you'll be OK...   
    • Posted

Good luck with your surgery. As you know, I'm lying awake at night trying to figure this out. Great advise not to rush. I will definitely consider the watch and wait... from w hat I can gather my cancer appears to be slow growing. I will post any info I find and decision I make. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.