Just found out about Globus

Posted , 7 users are following.

After months of suffering from what I thought was at various times a sore throat, having something stuck back there, my tonsils growing back in, cancer, etc., I think may be this Globus Sensation which I just began researching. I've seen an ENT who told me it was probably allergies and told me to take Flonase and Zyrtec-D, neither which seemed to do much. I've also had acid reflux for over a decade now and was a pack-a-day smoker. A year ago I quit smoking cold turkey and maybe as a result haven't had to take Pepcid as much for my reflux (even managed to lose 30 lbs. by dieting and exercising). However, I am highly stressed, both at home and work (my wife has health issues and my oldest child will be going off to college next year). I'm also a war veteran (no combat or PTSD though), and have always been told my whole life to "suck it up" when something is bothering me, but this lump in my throat, this feeling of phlegm that I can't seem to coughup and just sits back there and can seem to grow and intensify, is quite simply driving me insane. I don't trust the doctors know what they're doing, and do somewhat believe most of this could be stress-induced/mental health related. Does anyone suggest therapy/anti-depression meds for this problem?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is nothing psychological, trust me. It is either acid or digestive enzyme called pepsin, leaking into your ent areas. Globus sensation is a result of tissue defending with its spasms from these attacks.
    • Posted

Thanks Nemiren, I figured there was some medical cause and explanation, but anytime you try and delve deeper most people just tell you it's "all in your head." I'm just trying to collect as much info as I can so that if and when I go back to the doctor, I'm prepared and in there for longer than a 2 second exam and him to tell me to try and get allergy tested. I'm 99.9% sure this is not allergy related.

• Posted

I have found that most people with this sensation have a hiatal hernia. It can be repaired with surgery, but Dr.s do not like to do that unless it is a severe haital hernia. When the stomach protrudes through the lower espophagul sphincter it creates air pressure in the esophogus that presses against the upper esophagal sphnincter creating the feeling of something in your throat. Sometimes it feels like a lump, sometimes it feels like you have to burp but can't sometimes it feels like you are being strangled. It's maddening and stress does make it worse. Getting a solid nights sleep helps a little. I take L tryptophan for sleep and I take it during the day for relaxation and it seems to help some, unless I eat too much, drink carbonated soda, etc.. Some people have acid reflux with this throat sensation and others like me only have reflux occasionally. Hang in there and try try try to relax.. I know it's easier said than done. 

• Posted

Wow, thanks Marcy, I appreciate your time and advice with this! I have to admit, the only time I seem to find any peace at all is when I'm asleep, but I only get about 3 1/2 to 4 hours a night, if that.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I got globus after getting a sweet and nut stuck in my throat and I thought I was going to die. I then started getting panic attacks which then made everything worse. I have also been through a lot a stress at work and home as my youngest daughter was seriously injured in a car accident. I went to my doctors who told me there was nothing wrong with me and it was all in my head. I asked to see a ENT consultant who sent me for tests and I found out I had a stricture at the top of my oesophagus and thats why things were getting stuck. I was told that this was not related to my globus which was stress/mental health related. I have now gone on a antidepressant and the globus is much better. I feel better in myself too. The doctor said i will never get rid of gloubus which I accept, I just manage it better myself with ignoring it and thinking of something else or listening to music.

I hope you feel better soon. Mental health is a real illness and it does get better.

Jackie 

• Posted

Hi. I've been diagnosed with globus. I'm doing everything I can to figure it out. I was in a car accident and had a traumatic experience with it and then one week later, the globus came all of a sudden. I have felt like I am choking ever since. Many doctors I've been to point towards acid reflux. I don't think mine is due to that but for the past few days have been eating very carefully because I truly believe that this condition has actually given me acid reflux. When I first felt the globus I had trouble with air going up and down my throat and actually threw up in my mouth a lot. I know, gross. Also, the doctors mention anxiety but I am a pretty calm person. I did have an anxiety filled moment after the accident though where I tightened up all my muscles, trying to express how scared I was, and I think I pulled my throat muscles.

This is driving me crazy and not easy to deal with. I'm going to a chiropractor soon because I had whiplash from the accident and have some slightly herniated discs in my neck. I'm also just tonight wondering if my ongoing tooth pain could be related. My other symptoms are a constricted feeling in my ears- I have to pop them throughout the day which I had never done before. Weird crackling sounds in my head, I think due to the whiplash. And sometimes a "crawling" feeling in my throat- someone online had described it this way and I agree. I must say I have little faith in doctors... they will have to be very special to understand something this complex. I wish you well, and all who experience this. It is terrible. How is yours doing by the way?

Oh, when I eat, the symptoms are barely there. The muscles relax.

• Posted

I shouldnt be replying to you right now because i have no soultion for u but do know what you are going through , its terrible because i feel like every time i eat im choking horrible feeling ! I want to eat but get scared , i was told to drink lots of water and no caffiene so i will try this and also magnesuim maliete which i havent tried yet ! GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.