Just gone upto 40mg Prozac

Posted , 8 users are following.

Really worried , is 40mg too much?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Not at all, its the average dose actually smile

• Posted

I went the docs this morning GP suggested o go to 40mg - I said no As I couldn't risk the side effects . I may change my mind if I feel any worse . They don't go in 10mgs . Will u let me know how u get on with 40 mg x be positive .

• Posted

You can get 10mgs i have some but they are hard to find, you can get liquid flouextine which allows you to control the dose, this is normally prescribed for those 'weaning off' the drug. I too refused to go up in a dose due too thr side effects hence i still have the box of 10mgs. I decided to compliment my 20mgs with yoga, walks, pilates and va no sugar diet and its helped (i've been on them since June)

Hope this helps but as the other lady says 40mgs isn't that high some people are on double that

• Posted

Thank woo for letting me know . Going to see how I go . Also going to try walks and yoga . Difficult for me tho as I have 2 children and currently off work sick with the anxiety . Also tried rescue remedy - chewing gum and relaxation music .
    • Posted

I am on 25 now!I started on half a ten mg tablet and went up five every week.I am now taking a 20 mg capsule and 5 mg tablet!I have been building up slow because I had bad reaction to celexa which I use to take for five years so that was a surprise.
  • Posted

Hi there

I started in Jan on 20mg and it sorta worked by taking the edge off and had a review and my dr raised it to 40mg. I was on this for 6 months and had no anxiety or panic and foolishly came off it June as I was busy in work, felt OK and didn't collect my repeat prescription.

Missed a lot so came straight off them! Worst mistake of my life!!!

Slowly anxiety crept in, Dec i started taking 20mg again from gp and 3 weeks in now I'm off work my anxiety is through the roof and had several panic attacks

Fluoxetine to me was a life saver and I'm hoping it will settle me down again

I need to see my gp again but they closed 😖

Want to go back up to 40mg

My Poppa in law is on 80mg so no 40 not high xxx

Are you ok gill? X

• Posted

Hi Louise, I did the exact same thing. Came off the fluoxetine and it really messed me up. I have been back on it 5 months, and 40 mg for 12 weeks so far. Still have a way to go but getting there. X
    • Posted

Hi we're all in the same boat . I was on it for 4 years the. Forget to take it . Been on 5 weeks 20mg - my docs asked to go to 40mg but I said no last week as I'm too frightened of the side effects. Going back to my docs tomorrow as I feel terrible c not sure what's the right think to do as a have small children and I'm off work sick x

• Posted

Hi Louise hope you dont mind me askin.... how did you find the side effects of fluoxetine and also have you increased your does to 40??
    • Posted

Hi HopeNFaith how did you feel taking the 40mg ? Many side effects ? How long were you taking 20mg ?
    • Posted

Hi Andrea,

I will say that the side effects were not nice. Insomnia, lack of appetite and feeling sick. Also very shaky and suffered severe anxiety. I will say though it started getting a little better each week.

I was taking 20mg for 8 weeks then went to 40mg and was on that for nearly 4 months. I did start to feel a little better but Anxiety was still there.

My Doctor has now moved me to Sertraline, so for 2 weeks I will take 20mg Fluoxetine and 50mg Sertraline. Then just be on the Sertraline from then on.

It's my second day now and it's not been good. Every time the dose changes you almost have to go through some of the side effects again. I would say that you should try being on fluoxetine for at least 6 weeks and see if the changes are improving or getting worst. After 12 weeks if things are still bad, speak to the GP.

Hope this helps.

God bless

• Posted

Been on 20 mg for nearly 8 weeks x not sure if I've actually got better x have all side effects already x side neck at the moment which makes me feel very anxious x

• Posted

I would give it a little longer. Have you noticed that you're eating better or sleeping better. It happens in small stages.

If you feel worse than before perhaps see what the GP says.

Try not to get worked up about it, it will only make you feel worst. Do you find mornings are more manageable now? X

• Posted

Mornings are difficult - I don't sleep more than 2 1/2 hours in one go x no panic attacks much but not right x think depression has taken hold as well

• Posted

It was the worse when he up my dosage from 20mg to 40mg. Just started Prozac 8 weeks ago, Felt I was just starting f to realize the true wonders of this drug. Bam! Within a day or two, back to old misrable me. It really wasn’t the  decision that bothered me as how quick he bumped it up.! At least he could have  warned me that I would feel like I’m back a square one till it gets balanced. Should have I  muster stayed with the 20mg? I’ll have a list of questions for him next time. Been rough wk 2 on 40mg/day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.