Just got an eGFR reading of 56-worried

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I just got routine blood lab results back today and a red flag was raised when my Dr. office called to schedule an appt. to review them. After reading through them, I saw 2 areas that indicated flags- eGFR was 56 and Creatine was 1.09 (normal range listed as 0.52-1.04).

After looking up what these results mean, now I'm worried!

For infomration- I'm 39, I train (workout) 7days a week for participating in triathlons, don't smoke or drink, my blood pressure was 116/74. I am slightly overweight right now due to some emergency surgery and followup surgery earlier this year to remove a portion of my colon, but I'm working on reducing weight again.

My cholesterol is 167. I dn't think I have any of the normal markers for CKD, but these tests seem to indicate otherwise?

Is it too early for concern? Am I'm freaking out too soon?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Half your luck. I only wish I had your readings. My gfr is 18.
  • Posted

I wish my egfr was that. Dont panic. You have a looooong way to go before u need to worry.

As for ur creatanine being slightly raised....it is extremely slightly so dont worry too much about it.

• Posted

Take it seriously.  I was diagnosed 4-5 years ago and it was a rapid decline.  My ckd is caused by inherited HP but the prescribed medication made me dizzy.  I was an obsessed surfer and couldn't put in a decent session without spinning out.  I cut back on the meds and unbeknown my BP must have risen and kidney function crashed.  Dumb move.
  • Posted

I'm in the same boat. Just found out something wrong and looking to find out what I can do. Bit scared because you always think the worst. Does anyone have any advice about what questions need to be asked when I visit docs? Bit concerned nhs are getting about rubbish (taken me 3 months just to get bloods booked in) and patients need to be a bit pushier these days to make sure they get the right treatment not the cheapy quick fix options first. Is there anything you wish you'd known to ask when you first found out you had problems that would make your life easier now?
  • Posted

From reading the site I would say that you need to talk to your GP again for reassurance but that you shouldn't really start to worry unless you have a second test which shows the same or lower reading.

I'm a T2 diabetic and I'm searching this site because of my eGFR results but not very worried because age and T2 both tie in with lower eGFR.

Just to give you some idea, mine was 54 in June 2009 but then improved and is usually above 60. Last but one was 51 and latest is 82. Still trying to work out why the difference.

So you need a history of at least two tests before you can draw conclusions.

Also, don't freak about the Chronic bit - this just means it is long term and not just a passing thing like a cold or a sprain. You can have chronic very mild loss of kidney function and never notice it. It (as the web site says) doesn't necessarily mean "bad" or "serious".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.