Just got date for thr number 2 only 3 months after 1st thr!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Full of cold and feeling sorry for myself tonight. Just found out my next thr is in 3 weeks. First one has been brilliant and back at work after 5 weeks but have convinced myself tonight that hip no 2 can't possibly go as well..and hubby is away on business on the day of my op. I do need the second one doing but just having a major panic attack about it tonight 😕

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Kate

I have just had my second hip done 5th October 4 months after first one. was worried too but went wonderfully. felt a little different but recovery actually appears like it will be quicker. so happy to have it all done don't worry about it all.

maggiex

• Posted

I know how you feel, have been having the same feelings myself. Would only say that this time you are completely organised, know what to expect, and there is absolutely no reason why this one shouldn't be as successful as your last. I think it is normal to feel worried, but what is the alternative...and besides once this is done you will never have to go through this again. I am hopeful the hips of today will see us through! 

If your husband can't be with you, maybe you could take a close friend or relative? Maybe the anxiety is coming from having to be alone. 

Take good care, have a warm bath and a lemon drink and think about it al when you are feeling better xx

• Posted

Thanks rose. I think you are right. I am probably just a bit down because of this cold and I will see if my sister can be around xx
  • Posted

Getting jealous lol, I have been waiting since July and my own doctor had a letter from consultant saying he was planning to do the op in 2 months time that was dated 7th July and here we are October and still no news I have chased it 2 times. And even said that i would take any cacellation and I had my first hip done on 11th may it seems his list is long because according to the daily mail he 12th top surgeon in uk.
    • Posted

Poor you. That is a long wait. Whereabouts do you live? I chose to go to a private hospital in sheffield but all on the nhs and can't believe the efficiency of it...and the surgeon is yummy so that helps :-)

I was referred on sept 10 and was offered mid oct but declined due to a big family party at end of October. Fingers crossed and hopefull I will calm down a little xx

• Posted

Hello Kate I am 3wks post op on my right hip, I had my op in a sheffield private hospital (nhs). I had both knees also done at the same hospital 8yrs ago, I was surprised and pleased to be offered the same hospital for my hip. I had a different surgeon but the care and attention was just as good as when my knees were done I hope all goes well for you and good luck for when your date comes through so calm down and think of pain free times after xxx susybobs.
    • Posted

Hi suzybobs

Weŕe you at the cavendish or Thornbury. I was at the Thornbury and the care was great. Pain relief not so good

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate I was in claremont had my op Sat 19th Sept I went home the following tues after having wonderful care.hope your colds not too bad now x
  • Posted

That is awfully soon. Can you postpone it? Do you want to postpone it? It sounds to me like you're not quite ready for all that again so soon.
    • Posted

I could postpone it but I am self employed and nov and dec are the best months as no staff are on holiday and I hope to be back at work by end of Dec. Ironically I own mobility shops so def. have all the gadgets I need. Maybe its just having a rotten cold and thr fact that hubby will be away. I just need to find some positivity somewhere!

Xx

• Posted

dear kate ....

How are you today? I hope you are feeling better - Colds are notorious for feeling low and sad - it is okay to feel this way though -

Ah, the 2nd THR ... I am 29 days post-op from 2nd one (September 10) and goodness, I panicked and had anxiety attacks - silly me .... but what can you do ?

With the 1st one I didn;t know what to expect, now I did ... 

only thing I can say is that no matter what others are saying, accept and acknowledge whatever you are feeling ... don;t defend yourself to yourself (the worst !!!!) and others - just come here and vent -

Like Maggiefabrianne, it is different somehow and also familiar - one big difference though and that it I have 2 new hips !!!!

and finally feel that I can move forward .... not without some discomfort, but that OA grinding pain is gone ....

stupid question: can your husband change the date and be with you ?neutral

big warm hug - all is well

renee

• Posted

Thx renee for that. Did you have a general anaesthetic or an epidural. Last time I had an epidural and had a real panic attack towards the end. Just getting the same feeling sitting at work and answering the messages. Maybe my cold medicine which contains caffeine is not helping. Got the palpitations already :-(

I know I will a lot better and be able to go walking. ..and have better sex...with hubby but really a bit hurt that he didn't even offer to see if he could change his meeting. He just said ' you'll be fine and I'll see you the next day' Men!!!

Sorry for venting

Tske care

Kate x

• Posted

I dont blame you for venting. It is major surgery. If it were me I would be insisting my husband was there, not asking, so you are being very nice about it all. Will you have someone else? 

I need to decide between GA and epidural. What did you mean about panic attack towards the end? Was it the fear, the noise, was it hurting? Would be helpful to know so I can make a good decision.

• Posted

cheesygrin on toy boy !!!!  Has he watched the surgery on youtube ?????   

I had General anaesthetic ... just took a deep breath and woke up in recovery room ... no side effects, catheter or anything - maybe drowsy but nothing wrong with that after major surgery ...I just cannot handle the whole puncture thing and eventhough they say you donp;t hear, smell anything , I didn't want to risk it ... but the majority here  had epidural or local and loved it ....   

Vent all you want - How was your husband with your 1st THR ?  

warm hug

renee

• Posted

He was great ..and still is..very supportive and couldn't do enough to help. If he was just at a meeting locally it would be ok but he is going to 300 miles away. Maybe I am just being silly because wasn't really up to visitors the first night anyway.

Think I'll go for the general. The anaesthetist was not very chatty sbout the procedure last time but I have lots more questions this time. Are you in the uk?

• Posted

I think it was the noise Rose. I did take my music but couldn't concentrate on it. Then when the banging started I felt my body jolting but absolutely no pain at all. Maybe an epidural with a sedative is the answer so you can snooze through it.i am still undecided about this one

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Oh, okay .. you're right - that first visit is a wash really - but it would have been so nice of him to ask you if you want him to change his meeting and you would have said : no - I will be just fine ...."

I live in Holland at the moment  ... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.