just got my thyroid number yesterday and put on 25mcg levothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was feeling more aweful than normal and decided to see my doctor,my doctor wasn't in and seen a doctors associate instead.I have always had the feelings of being exhausted and depressed but my regular doctor always blamed my exhaustion on stress.the doctors associate took blood and urine tests and I got the results yesterday and gave me a prescription.the only number they gave me for my thyroid is 640.1 and said that normal range is between 0-4.9. I have no understanding of this number and what it means.I have looked up the "under active" and "over active" thyroid and seeing the symptoms I have it seems it is the hypo ? I feel as if I am in a very large black hole with no understanding of the number that was givin me.thank you so much for helping me understand what is going on with my body.I have an appt in 2 weeks and would like to know what questions I should be asking my doctor

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shortstuff:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Hypothyroid is under active, and Hyper is over active.

TSH is a hormone sensor and it should be between 0.45 to 4.50 and if you are at 640 you are way off the scale.  The low end of the scale is HYPER means too much and the high end is HYPO means too little.

So symptoms of Hypo are: Feeling Cold, gaining weight fast, sleepy, depressed feeling, bruising, constipation, no period or infrequent ones, feeling low energy, brain foggy, brittle nails and dry scalp and skin, low body temp and low pulse.  These are most common and there are more symptoms.

25mcg of Levo is a starting dose and will help you feel better but you must take it every day and without food for 1 hour. Food will block the medication from working.  It takes about 6 to 12 weeks to build a level.

Then later they will draw blood again to see the blood levels.  You can request a copy of your blood work and in some places they may charge you. 

So explain to the doctor your symptoms and ask for the following blood work.

Thyroid tests are: T4 and T3 levels and TSH level and TPOA antibodies TGab antibodies test to make sure you do not have Hashimoto's.

Mineral panel check, Potassium,calcium, sodium, magnesium, ferritin and iron,  Vit D and B-12 levels. Many of us are low in the above and not know it.  Ask your doctor to check all of these.  Also see if anyone else in your family has it and log your symptoms and show the doctor.

Thyroid disease can come from a family history and a nasty virus called Epstein-Barr EPV for short.  Thyroid disease can also come from a lack of iodine in the diet, and poor living conditions or abuse &  lifestyle problems and or illegal drug use.

It can also come from another medical condition like Lupus and Diabetes

Thyroid disease hits women more than men and can come out in the 20 to 45 year old range. It can also come out during pregnancy where stress is on the body and during menopause years too.

Our thyroids make 4 hormones and 2 of them T3 and T4 are important.  Our body needs T3 to keep us healthy and when we are low in that we feel it in the symptoms I listed above.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

thank you very much I have been experiencing all of the hypo and other symptoms for as long as I can remember but always was able to explain all of it away but never connected any of it together.I got extremely nauseated all of last week and dizzy ,double vision,and almost passed out at the grocery store.thats what got me to the doctor because I thought something might be wrong with my blood pressure or B12.I broke down crying for no reason at the doctors office feeling like I was having a mental breakdown.she ordered a few blood and urine tests and I got the results yesterday.I will be going for a CT scan because they found blood in my urine and now have a ultra sound planned for my thyroid.this might sound aweful ,but I am so relieved that there is a reason for me feeling like I have all of these year.I just wish I would have been tested for it sooner instead of suffering for as long as I have.I figure things can only get better because any impovement is a good one.sheer will power and the love I have for my husband and daughters get me through each day.

I couldn't describe everything or for how long because I am still in shock and not good with words.I am 44 years old 5'4 and a little on the fluffy side of 153 pounds.thank you Shelly very much,I have been reading here all day and seeing your posts everywhere.I can see already through your posts that you are an angel giving your time and knowledge.thank you again

• Posted

Hello Shortstuff:

The thyroid disease is sneaky since many of us get some symptoms or all of them and at different times in our lives.  Many doctors say it is stress and or depression and that can make for a misdiagnosis.

If you can and you may want to take a good multivitamin with iron.  Ferritin is a component of iron and in many of us we are low in it.  Iron also.  So get a very good multivitamin and take it with a meal.  It will help with energy also.

Also make sure they check a blood glucose level and make sure your Blood pressure is good and not too high or too low. 

Thanks so much for the kind words, if you have a question just ask, as many of us on here have been in your shoes and can help.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.