Just had liver biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis after it was discovered I had elevated liver enzymes prior to my recent hip replacement surgery. Yesterday I had a liver biopsy and they said I would get the results in 7-10 days. What happens next? No one has told me anything about what they are looking for with the biopsy or what the next course of action is.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

most likely fatty liver. my first was the same, dont worry too much, the docs do that to 'cya'. waiting sucks, but when they sit you down it will be a huge relief. did you get an mri as well?

• Posted

No mri but they did do a liver ultrasound before my surgery.

• Posted

again, dont let it stress you. i wish i had this forum when i went through it. they are checking everything. phlebs suck. no sugar coating that. but some meds and an easy change of lifestyle and youll be totally fine. relax, the waiting part was the worst for me, dont let it bother you.
    • Posted

but, i hope you like chicken and fish. thats going to be your new diet
    • Posted

I guess I've got to do what ive got to do. No one has talked me about any of this yet.

• Posted

didnt mean for that to sound negative, but thats what you are going to hear. not bad, i went straight bobby flay in my kitchen.
  • Posted

Hi Chris

Glad to hear you got the biopsy out of the way. As others have mentioned don't stress about the results. In your case, because they canceled your scheduled surgery due to concerns about your liver function tests I suspect they are waiting for the biopsy results to reschedule you for the surgery.

The biopsy will tell them how healthy your liver is and if anything more than  fatty liver cells are present. It will also tell them how much iron is present in the liver which can give them a rough idea how long the deironing process might take. I will guide them in how they soon they want to reschedule the surgery.

After I was deironed my liver function tests returned  to normal, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.