Just Home from Surgery - Air Walker and How to Ice.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just brought friend home from surgery. I didn't know about cleaning so I asked if the site needed to be cleaned before follow-up. Doctor said don't touch anything until follow-up... okay, clear, leave everything as is until returning to doctor.

He also said to ice regularly. The boot is pretty huge. Did he mean don't even open the boot to apply ice? He gave me the liquid (gel) ice packs. I called the surgery center and the woman said to undo the velcro and pull back the heavy soft padding, but I am nervous that the doctor really meant to not touch anything... including changing anything on the air walker (aircast?) It is a Equalizer Low Top Air Walker

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't really understand all this but my doctor asked me to get the district nurse to reduce the crepe bandage and cotton wool on day 2 after my op. This took me down to a flimsy dressing. I insisted that we put another crepe bandage over the top as felt vulnerable.  M cling is a wine cooler sleeve which works incredibly well. I wear a boot to get around with the help of one crutch. I have my stitches out at 12-14 days again by the district nurse. I see the consultant at 6 weeks and I am not allowed to wright gear neil then but I resume I can heel walk. I am anxious that there doesn't seem to be a lot of information or support between op and 6 weeks. Just hoping all ok. Good uck

regards

jan 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. The boot that my friend has is very large and appears complex, so I'm unsure about undoing it. I guess we shall see. Wish they had given more clear instructions. 

• Posted

Sorry to bump this up - but really anybody with experience in this would be helpful. I need to be doing the ice really soon and don't know whether removing the boot is okay as long as my friend remains lying down or keeping it elevated and not on the foot. 

• Posted

I see the boot I had the same boot but higher it's all Velcro, you just have to pull the Velcro back, and remove it, make sure her foot is elevated at all times except if she is going to the bathroom, the boot should only come off when your putting gel ice, on it, call the doctor and leave a message it's an emergency, and good luck your a good friend

• Posted

Hi Jingle! When I had the surgery I was to sleep in boot, and not ice it, because I wasn't allowed to get it wet, so I would wait for more clear instructions, make sure leg is elevated, I wouldn't pull back any padding until I talk to doctor, since she just got home I would make sure she is taking her painkillers on time because you don't want her to have any pain and make sure she eats before taking painkillers, leave a message for the doctor, and good luck 

• Posted

What kind of surgery did your friend have? Is there Velcro on the boot?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.