Just joined group, nothng is working

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone

have had some foot pain for more than a year. Left foot only. Possibly from gaining 50 lbs in a stressful 8 month period and too much strain on my flat feet? Got really bad when I started back exercising and did too much too soon, pain in my heel pad arrived. Started seeing  podiatrist four months ago. Have support sox, few exercises each day, threw out all my heels and new arch supports. No change. He started trying laser light therapy. Actually had 2 days pain free then after next treatment pain returned. Today I had to stand for three hours and pain so bad I sat crying on train wondering how Id ever walk again.

started with physio therapy. He says I have excellent range of motion and maybe slight tightness in Left calf, but not so much. Calf raises and stretches not working yet.

have made appointment for acupuncture out of desperation. Has anyone tried that successfully?

have lost 25 lbs so far to reduce weight impact on foot. Aiming to lose another 25. Am extremely discouraged and afraid this will be a long term disability.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hey dont give up... try these 2 things.. sorted out mine...

​1. Throw out all the other stuff - likely you have inflammation causing PF... so you need CUSHTY - nice and soft underfoot - SKetchers Go Walk are the business. Also their flip flops are very good and very cushty. Rescued my life frankly..

​2. You know those sleeves that go round chanpagne bottles to keep them cool? Stick 2 in the freezer and sit with your legs out on a sofa in the evening with them stuck over your foot for as long as you can stand it.

​Give the above a go and forget the podiatrist unless the above doesnt work. Ice and cushty in my experience gets rid - maybe stretches do it for others but they didnt for me.  You have nothing to lose however barmy it counds - but you have inflammation so you need to be gently with it, ice it A LOT - mine went in 2 days after i practically froze my feet off with the champagne coolers.. and frankly i just think SKetchers are the business... as so most other poeple...

• Posted

Thank you. Haven't tried ice - will do so right now. I bought Skechers last year and they felt good at the time, but podiatrist said they weren't firm enough support, so I haven't been wearing. The orthotic arch supports he prescribed are so hard, nothing cushy about them at all - so maybe I'll ditch them for a while and stick with my Skechers and comfy croc sandals. Thanks for replying.
    • Posted

Hi I originally went to a renowned podiatrist and they gave me hard ones for support and one was more comfy than the other but I then saw a really top knee surgeon who immediately binned them as he sai they were making me put too much weight on outside foot and was affecting knees and he showed me why this was the case so I trusted him more...went back to sketchers and not looked back really... But if you have collapsed arches maybe you need but on grounds you are in pain and podiatrist has not cured you, I'd give sketchers rest and serious icing a go - champagne wrappers are much better in my experience than frozen peas as you can sit with your feet up getting frozen all round! Rub on volrar from a chemist (over the counter) and bet you are a lot better in 2 weeks.... Won't harm you so give it a go....good luck!
    • Posted

Sorry typo should read voltarol ...
  • Posted

Hi, just an idea for you. I started wearing Berkinstock sandals when I had serious pf a few years ago. Definite improvement in my symptoms. My brother-in-law used the same shoes after he developed pf following hundreds of miles walking Lands End To John O Groats. He also had good improvement and is back serious walking again. They are hard and take 2-3 weeks to get used to but worth a try. They really support the foot bed. They are my go to favourite shoe for comfort now. I have had foot surgery for other problems found when investigating my pf so I can't tell you if it is a permanent solution for me as while operating I also had work done on my heels. Still recovering..
    • Posted

P.S. Forgot. I noticed my physiotherapist wears them too.
    • Posted

I think the secret is somewhere in middle... If inflamed or after exercise secret is cushy and ice to reduce inflammation. Once inflammation lower heat to bring blood supply and nutrients in the morning on any joint helps and support I. E. Shoes like Birkenstocks, asics nimbus trainers or fit flips all help but when inflamed go cushy, anti-inflammatories and ice as otherwise too painful and only aggravating....be careful on trainers...many now have arches to stop probation but you might not have pronation so could be inadvertently making you worse. Can't really go wrong with asics nimbus but most people don't use the top hole - you need to use top hole as that's the one which puts heel incorrect position...need to do up trainers not have them loose and you will notice difference...
  • Posted

I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  I have had plantar fasciitis for about 4 months, though it seems to have disappeared these past few days.  I have researched extensively on the subject.  I think most of the stuff you read on the internet is a bunch of untested crap.  I don't believe in the foot exercises, the arch supports, the calf exercises, the night boots, etc.  I have read on the internet (from "doctor" experts) that you should have firm arches . . .   and I have read that you should have no arches - "walk barefoot only."  I have read "apply ice," and  I have read "apply heat - ice is harmful."  Noone seems to have any idea about how to cure PF.

Here's what I think.  I feel that plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone, AND/OR some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia - just a few fibers - that results, naturally, in inflammation . . .   like a "pulled muscle."  (You may know that a pulled muscle is simply the tearing of a few muscle fibers.)  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacked it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion.  That's right - cushion the heel.  Here's what I am doing.  First, I have the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish athletic type sox.  On my heel I've been wearing plantar fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  But also, I sewed  onto the the padded foot wraps, the back part of some thick arch cushions for a little more cushion.  So under my heels I have 4 cushion layers.  And now, after about 4 months, I think the PF is gone.  That's what I think, and I hope that this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.

• Posted

toally agree with you!  ... but i couldnt be bothered with all that making bits to go in the shoes... just get some Sketchers - i love them - frankly i have sold so many pairs, they shoudl give me a medal - they have just brought out some cushty flip flops and i find them better than my fit flops  -

​Champagne wrappers and cushty is way to go!!  I agree the doctors are clueless but everyone who goes soy and cushty does seem to improve..

​my best pal also had and she eventually also went champagne wrappers and sketchers and fit flops and it worked for her to  - although she argues it was drinking the champagne which she bought at same time.. I could not agree more with doknabox.  I dont think podiatrists have much clue either - but they may help temproarily to relieve pressure of e.g. sesamoiditis which may accompany it... frankly Sketchers are cushions for the feet. Wondrous. Go for it.

• Posted

I would skip the calf raises as in my case these may have even caused the of

No one can work out the solution to this terrible problem. Keep the feet cool and cushion them as much as possible.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, I was wondering about the calf raises for that reason. Am wearing my Skechers today with softer dr. Scholl inserts and pain is much better. Looking for the champagne cooler packs tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.