Just need to talk....

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I guess i just need to get it all off my chest to people who can relate/understand!! (Its rare!)

So my anxiety level has been creeping up for the past 8 months.... the last time it was extreme was 5 years ago and i have not taken meds for 4 years now.

I knew it was creeping back to its old ways but i was in denial... it will go away soon right? WRONG.

The past 4 weeks it has been so bad i have struggled in everyway possible... but it seems mostly at work sad

I work as a carer and it got to the point i was in a panic people were going to have an accident or i would accidentally hurt someone when helping them. I could smell burning and believed the place would catch fire just to give you the gist of things i have been a nervous reck.

At home i constantly check the gas cooker and plug sockets. When i walk the dog i think im being followed.

I went to the doctors a week ago today and was started on 50mg sertaline. At the moment im nit really seeing a positive change luckily i have only had a couple if side effects.

Now im panicing.... im due back to work in a week. Am i really going to be well enough? I have bills to pay and dont get sick pay apart from statutory suck pay 88quid a week :O

So sorry to rant on just needed to get it off my chest. I have support from my partner but he doesnt really understand

Thankyou x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced simular symptoms...... i feel like a freak sad

• Posted

Hi Hayle. Firstly well done going to the docs and taking the meds. You really need to give it about 2 weeks before you start to feel the benefit. Most people here say between 6 and 8 weeks for the full effect. It's hard my love, I know. While you are off work try relax and have me time. Try going a nice walk. I find that clears my mind and then I look foreward to having a little nap which always helps me.

I know what you mean about your hubby as mine is exactly the same. If you have never had anxiety then people don't understand as apparently it's all in our mind!! If only it was that simple.

Stay strong and don't think about going back to work. Think about getting better before going back to work as this will put more pressure on you.

Big hugs. X

• Posted

Thankyou for replying.

Yes i walk my dog for an hour each day plus i make sure i walk to the shops 15min from home just to make sure i get out and about.

Im really struggling not to panic about going back to work sad its doing my head in arghhhh

• Posted

It's good you are getting out as that is very important.

It's tough we have to work 😭 I'm lucky as I work from home however I still panic but would prob not be able to work in town etc.

Try find the silver linings with work and the bigger picture. I know how hard it is hun

• Posted

Yes i need to try and see positivity in everything! I must not give up!
  • Posted

Hello hayley

Your medications may not be working well for a time, allow about five weeks and the medications will start to make a difference.

Most people, including Partners do not understand mental health issues so you may be in a hard place there.

One way I used to get around the anxiety was to make a log book and mark down what I had done, that seemd to take away the sting of remembering what I had done or not done and helped me know I had not missed anything

I sympathise

BOB

• Posted

Thanks for the tips Bob smile

I was feeling ok this morning until the doorbell rang now im anxious sad cant wait to start feeling better

• Posted

hi guys just an update...

im currently signed off week now its been nearly 3 weeks. i am also taking 80mg of propanolol and zopicloyne- funnily enough even with zopicloyne i am stuggling to sleep some nights not even getting any. im still on 50mg sertaline aswell.

bit worried as im not freally seeing any improvememt in my anxiety or obsessive behaviors rolleyes

im only signed off work for one more week but the thought of going back at this point is making me panic real bad :0

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.