Just out of hospital, suspected ulcerative colitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just got home after a 6 day stay in hospital due to stomach pain and loosing a lot of blood mucus and pus in stool. I had a similar bout last year which Dr thought was just a nasty bug but now that I've ended up in hospital they suspect ulcerative colitis. I've got to say Ive never been so scared in my life they thought it might have been diverticulitis but ruled that out after a ct scan. I had all the blood tests, inflammation markers and white blood cells are up and haemoglobin has dropped. They've put me on augmentin and metronidazole but I really don't think I am agreeing with the Augmentin. I'm losing more mucus and blood but Dr was adamant I need to be on both antibiotics to get rid of infection in bowel and to prevent perforation although they did admit that augmentin could cause problems. What I don't understand is my stool sample showed no infection so confused Any advice much appreciated? I didn't eat for three days but hat didn't help slow anything down so I've been on half a banana and some vegetable broth, I just can't face food at the moment. Any advice please? cry

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lou

Not sure why they are giving you antibiotics for UC, you need something to reduce the inflammation, usually Prednisone is prescribed as a steroid to do this. If bad an enema to support the healing.

Are you in the U.K. or US?

Blood and mucus are very normal during flare ups, my recent bout has been going on for nearly 6 months.

• Posted

Hi Sbgoodguy,

Went to GP today to go through everything, she said that the antibiotics are precautionary but I can stop taking them if I want. Basically they won't treat me with steroids or anything until I've had a colonoscopy because they want to do it when I am still having symptoms to give an accurate diagnosis. To be honest I'm et rifled of having a colonoscopy hire feeling like this, passing blood etc. Won't it make it worse? I'm in the uk.

Thanks

Lou

• Posted

You need a proper diagnosis from a Coleorectal Consultant and probably a Flexi Sig to examine you. Sounds like your in a dark place. Keep the pressure on the Medics if you're not satisfied. Sorry to hear your predicament and Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks Darasdad1 they're arranging a colonoscopy in the next 2 weeks which I'm petrified of whilst feeling like this sad

• Posted

Try to keep a clear head. The Colonoscopy doesn't hurt and is the best way of seeing what's wrong. It won't make things worse and doesn't take long. I found that once I was in the system the Consultants and IBD Nurses gave lots of good advice and did a brilliant job of looking after me.

• Posted

Thanks both that's reassuring. Just want an accurate diagnosis now so I can be treated.

• Posted

Quite why the doctors have put you on a cocktail of amoxicillin and metronidazole if they suspect UC is puzzling as those drugs can to make UC worse. I speak from experience as my UC was in remission when my GP suspected I had h pylori - prescribed similar antibiotics and immediately my UC flared. Back to the GI consultant who was in no doubt that the anti-biotics had caused the flare. In my experience GPs have a very poor understanding of UC.

I agree with what others have said. You need a colonoscopy as it's the only way you can get an accurate diagnosis.

Please don't be put off by a lot of the scaremongering about colonoscopies that goes on on this site. It does seem that some people have a poor experience but for many (including me) it's routine and doesn't hurt a bit. I don't bother with sedation as I like to be aware of what's going on and be able to ask questions about what I can see on the screen. I too have nothing but praise for the endoscopy team at my local hospital.

If you do have UC then here is lots of advice out there. Crohn's and Colitis UK is an excellent resource and they have helplines you can call. UC can make you feel utterly exhausted through blood loss, dehydration and just the sheer fact that the body is attacking itself. Try to eat as you need to keep your strength up.  I find mashed potato is bland but filling plus potatoes contain more potassium than bananas. Try to avoid tea and coffee as caffeine can irritate the bowel. Drink water instead. It can be tempting to take a lot or iron supplements to counteract the blood loss but iron also irritates the bowel so beware of that.

Good luck, try not to worry and let's hope you have a diagnosis soon. If it does turn out to be UC there are lots of us here in the same boat learning to live with and manage the disease and happy to share our experience and give advice.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, I stopped the Augmentin. I think I'll stop the metronidazole as well. Woke up this morning (sorry this is gross) but I had a bowel movement that was full of dark blood and what looks like the lining of my bowel sad I'm so scared. Going to ask my Dr if there is anyway they can give me anything to settle this down. I don't want to end up back in hospital.

• Posted

I've had a horrendous morning passing blood mucus and what looked like the lining of my bowel sad it looked like a scene from csi. Feel so much worse, went back to my GP and they are not happy I've been told I have to wait 1 - 2 weeks. She's prescribed me mesalazine enema in the meantime just to settle things down a little. Really hoping it will help

• Posted

Mesalazine is not an enema but an anti-inflammatory drug that works on the large colon and rectum. There is an oral version that works on the colon and suppositories which specifically target the rectum. Rectal inflammation (proctitis) is common alongside colitis. UC patients usually have both. If this is UC then, as you are already discovering, flares can be pretty disgusting but once you get that endoscopy and a formal diagnosis then the treatment proper can begin. It usually involves cortico-steriods (Prednisolone) and Mesalazine taken together and once the symptoms are under control the steriods are slowly tapered off and Mesalazine taken ongoing to keep inflammation at bay.
    • Posted

Oh, I've got the prescription now and its called Pentasa. Their 100ml of liquid enema so I'm going to give it a go and hope it helps a bit. Yes keen to get an accurate diagnosis so I can get the proper treatment.

• Posted

Yes. Pentasa is the trade name for mesalazine. I've only ever used the suppositories but it usually works pretty quickly to calm inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.